Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Is there any electrical kill switch on a Craftsman lawn tractor

Customer Question
located on or near the...
Is there any electrical kill switch on a Craftsman lawn tractor located on or near the brake/clutch?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/9/2010
Technician: cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech replied 7 years ago
cameronsmallengines
cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
I gather that the engine stalls or dies when the blades are engaged and the brake is released? Or does it just die when you release the brake even if the blades are not engaged? Let me know and we'll go from there, and the IS a safety switch on the brake, and also one on the blade engagement. Let me know about my above questions.
Thanks,
Kyle
The engine has not stalled when the blades were engaged, at least not during the few opportunities I've had to get that far. The engine stalls when the brake/clutch is released. The problem started after the shop adjusted the brakes. Thanks.
Ok, it sounds like either your brake safety switch is bad, or your seat switch is bad, though its less likely since it is new. Lower your mowing deck to its lowest setting and then go around the mower to the side that the brake is on. You may have to lay down on the floor/ground to find the brake safety switch, but it will be mounted somewhere on the frame that the brake arm can physically come into contact with the switch and push the little plunger in. Look at the switch once you find it and then make sure that the brake lever is making full contact with the plunger and pushing it all the way in by pushing the brake down by hand or having someone push it for you while you watch. If it is making full contact, then pull the switch off and we'll test it to make sure its working. Do you have a volt-ohm-meter or a multimeter you can use to test it?
You reply stopped at "though its...." You recall I've just replaced the seat safety switch. The old switch seemed to be the problem because sometimes the engine would run after jiggling it. After the seat switch was replaced, the mechanic drove the machine on to the trailer without a problem. However, when I got home and tried to drive it off, the engine stalled as soon as the brake/clutch was released, just as it had done before.

Thanks. You've confirmed my suspicions. You don't need to reply unless your last sentence has necessary information.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician