J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

My Craftman snow thrower seized, any suggestions on how to

My Craftman snow thrower seized, any suggestions on how to fix it? My son is interested in learning about engines and is happy to take it apart.

It seized after we drained the oil, put in gasoline stabilizer, ran in a for a minute to let the stabilizer circulate and then shut it down when we realized there was no oil. Unforunately the engine can not be turned now.

We've trying WD-40 into the cylinder and tapping on the piston with a rod with no luck. Any suggestions on steps to take or where to find a mechanic's manual on how to take the engine apart?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The cylinder is likely not the problem. The connecting rod is seized to the crankshaft. Take the side cover off of the engine and then remove the cap from the connecting rod. The piston should then come out of the cylinder.