Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

EZ go cart won't move forward. all batteries are charged as…

Customer Question
EZ go cart won't move...
EZ go cart won't move forward. all batteries are charged as confirmed by voltmeter. 36 volt system. Just getting a click from the big black box under the passengers seat. unhooked batteriy and took black cover off. it looks like a "starter" cylinder with wires connected to it, then they run to another black box under the "starter" cylinder. Don't know what to do next. Still just getting a single click when I press accelerator.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/9/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
That would be the solenoid that has to close to send power to the controller. You need to check the solenoid to see if it is closing and sending power on. Take a voltmeter, hook one end to negative battery terminal, doesn't matter which one, put the other lead on the big terminal of the solenoid. One side will show voltage, the other side will not. Then move the lead to the one side that was not showing voltage and press the foot switch. The solenoid should close and the terminal should have voltage. If no voltage when the solenoid closes, it is bad and needs to be replaced. If it does close and show voltage, the problem is with the controller or the connections to it. Let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for the message Curtis. The bolts on the solenoid are all the same size, so not sure which one was the big terminal. The 4 "screws" coming out of the solenoid (2 small ones in front, 2 larger ones on each side) small ones showed same voltage of 1.... the 2 side terminals showed a closer range of 5.6 to 6.2 each. There are 3 "terminals" going into the top of the controller. 2 showed voltage, 1 in the middle did not. I assumed that was the one to use with the accelerator. The voltage did not change when I pressed the accelerator....still just a "click". Not sure if it matters, but the solenoid and the controller are both in great shape and clean. All connections are very clean, no corrosion. It may be because it's been covered and the parts look new. The cart is about 6 years old. What next?

Hank

I'm not sure we are on the same page. This click you hear, is not coming from the solenoid, it is coming from the forward/reverse switch, just behind the firewall?? I am going to include a web address for some ezgo diagrams and it has a parts book for the later electric carts. Look at the last manual and download the parts manual and look at the solenoid. The system works by the key switch sending the current to the f/r switch, which sends it to the foot switch, under the drivers mat, and the foot switch closes the solenoid and powers up the controller. I think one of the switches is stuck or nor working. Don't worry about the question, it can stay open for days, just do not accept till we get you going. Thanks. http://mrcarts.com/cat_ezgo_technical_info.cfm

Will do, Curtis...thx for your patience.

Hank

I look forward for your return.

OK - the "click" happens once, each time i press the accelerator. the click is definitely coming from the controller box connected to the solenoid, and not the solenoid. The F/R knob is working I believe because I get the reverse "alarm" each time i place the knob in reverse, and the alarm is silent when I turn the knob back to Forward. I then press the accelerator and get the "click" from the controller box....almost as if it is "polling" for a response.

Also, the manual shows the front pos and neg terminals as being slightly different sizes on the solenoid. However, they are the same size on my unit.

Do I understand the unit will run in reverse.?? Problem is only in forward?
Look on the Mr carts web site. the last set of three manuals , the middle one is a Technicians guide to electric carts. It has the troubleshooting charts for the non pds carts as well as the PDS carts. It is much to long for me to try and go through it with you. I still wonder about the click you hear, there should be no moving parts in the controller, it is all solid state components.
Curtis - I haven't given up yet, just haven't had time to complete the additional trouble-shooting you recommended. I should be able to get to it this weekend. Thanks for your patience. - Hank
Thats fine, I will be here.