Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a deere 757 zero turn mower. the mower will not start…

Customer Question
i have a john deere...
i have a john deere 757 zero turn mower. the mower will not start it will turn over has spark. It gets fuel up to the carb and that is it. I ck the solonoid it is not getting power if I jump it ti will run.I ck the 20amp fuse it is good what powers the solonoid I put a new ing sw and still wont start
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/8/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
On the older John Deere they took the power off the wire that turns the alternator on. It is right in the same area as the shutoff solenoid. Locate the harness and see if it is there and not connected good. Or just locate the wire that is turned on when the key is turned to on and splice it in. Look in the back of the owners manual for the wiring schematic. All I can find is the parts listing. thanks.
This is a 2008 the fuel switch is working I found the ground wire bad the mower has no spark the wire is good . The mower has two coils which are spliced together which go to the switch when you turn the switch on it has no power at that contact could the switch be defective ? It should have power at that contact. That plug has no power to the coils. I did not try a using a jumper wire to see. My owners book has no wire schematic in the back need your help
Technician: jcook, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
jcook
jcook, Small Engine Technician

Do not use a jumper wire to induce 12 volts into this wire. There is not suppose to be power to it. If you induce power you will destroy both coils. The terminal should be marked with a (M) all it does is ground the coils out to shut them off. The ignition system on these units are a little different than most. They actually run through two relays. Follow the white wire from the key switch it will splice off into two wires. Both should be white in color. If you can see the numbers on these wires the numbers should be 950 on one and 960 on the other. follow these wires and they should lead to the relays and a diode. Test the diode and the relays. The relays need to read logic from the right and left handles as well as the brake and seat switches. If all logic is met then the engine will have spark. If the relays do not click you will have to check each switch and wires seperate. look for loose and corroded connections. There should be a black wire that connects both coils to the main harness. I would dissconnect this wire from the harness. This way you will isolate the coils from the rest of the relays and it should spark(as long as the coils are good) Just keep in mind that if the engine starts you will have to reconnect the wire to shut the engine off. Also make sure you installed the correct key switch. They all look almost the same but the terminals have different functions. If the incorrect switch was installed then it may not be sending power to the relays and diode as needed. Check these things and we will go from there. I will check in tomarrow. Talk to you soon. J.Cook

I will ck this out when I get off work. Yes their are some relays it has for or five of them i will ck the diodes and let you know
Okay. I will wait to hear from you. Talk to you soon.
question how do i ck the coils with a volt meter. I know the plug you are talking about can be pluged in wrong if you are not careful. and it was plug in wrong which put 12 volt to the coils. when the mower stoped working it was the fuel switch. and it had spark now it does not. if i turn the engine over wtih the coils wire leads unplug shoud i get a reading ? also their are 2 diodes buy the switch and a plug like a fuse but it is sealed in the case. their is a module on the side of the mower buy the starter how do I ck it. All this happened when i let my friend use it. and it stoped running by the time i arrived at his house he had connectors unpluged and was trying to start the mower by jumping the batt using his ford 350 power stroke. I was so mad I took my mower home. I should of never let him use it I learned my lesson but when i get home arround 2.30 pm any help would help also how do i ck the diodes out

There is no real accurate way to test the coil with a volt meter. There are resistance readings that can be checked, however no two meters will give you the same reading so it is an inaccurate way to test. The best way to test these is to unplug the single black wire and see if you have spark as this will tell you the coils are good and you will need to do nothing further with them. Check both diodes. they unplug and should read resistance in one direction only. If there is resistance in both directions or none at all then these will have to be replaced. One thing I fear is that if the unit was jumped with a truck running then around 100 amps went through a 25 amp system. I am looking at the schematic and certain machines had the module you are speaking of. this is an ignition delay module and it should have a yellow and black wire going into it. It feeds the magneto stop relay. These are sensitive to voltage spikes and will certainly affect the ignition. The magneto stop relay also controls part of the fuel solenoid circuit as well. This is the circuit that you have the issue with. I would recommend locating the magneto relay. and test it with the handles out and the brake locked. The wires to this relay should be white, black(2), and a yellow. The yellow is the switched power. Check the doides, dissconnect the black wire near the engine from the coils and spin the engine over to check the coils for spark. If this checks out then more than likely the delay module has failed and will need to be replaced. I do not think the coils will be bad. especially both at the same time. Check these things and we will procede from there. Talk to you soon.

i have that module with me it had a yellow and a green wire going into it in the middle at the ends a red wire and the 2 black wires going to the magneto relay with the key on the green wire is hot but going to the module to the yellow nothing the red wire is hot at all times it is pluged into a 3 prong top is hot and the 2 lower is black

Okay that is good information. You still need to check the diodes. This will affect the output on the yellow wire. We are getting close. Let me know how the diodes test out.Talk to you in a bit.

Just one more thing. Make sure you dissconnect the grounding wire to the actual coils and spin the engine over to see if there is spark before testing all anything further. Like I said before if 12 volts was induced into the coils as you said it may have been then that would be the only thing that would damage both at the same time. The jumpstarting with the truck is what would damage the diodes and the module. So you may actually have two issues here. Isolate the coils first. and then we will move onto the rest. Let me know what your findings are after you isolate the coils. Thanks
I checked the diodes they are bad installed new diodes then disconted the coils have spark I then pulug the harness no spark I ckecked the relays as you instructed me to found the mower would have spark. I unplug the last relay with wire 950 ck the wire ok checked the ingition delay module it has a open in it I ckecked it with my meter.So I unpluged the relay started the mower runs good pulged the relay up mower cuts off. The white wire 950 goes into the ing switch which is also tied to the 960 white wire. 476 wire is tied into the module and the last relay which has wire 950 into it. I cant get the module until tuesday $20.00. John deere sold the last one wenesday I learned my lesson dont let friends use your equipment. Can I use the mower with the last relay unpluged will it harm the electrical system

Good work,You are lucky the coils were not damaged. The module was added on later units. The first generation just had a jumper wire plugged in place of the module. It connected the yellow 475/476 from the magneto relay and the 475 yellow from the diode. In theory if you remove the delay module you should be able to just jump the yellow wire from the relay and diode and eliminate the module. You may want to try this before running with the relay disconnected. All the delay module was used for was to lessen the sensitivity of the operator on the seat switch. If you bounce around it will give you a second to sit back on the seat before the engine quits. You are a good troubleshooter, Looks like we have found your problem. If everything works with the relay disconnected then you will do no harm in using the machine for a short time. Talk to you soon, Jason