Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1996 john deere riding mower. It will run for about…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 john...
I have a 1996 john deere riding mower. It will run for about 10 mins then turn off. No one seems to know what the problem is. when trying to start again, it will turn over but is not firing. after it is left for a few hrs, it will start then shut off after a short period of time. extremly frustrating ! no one can help me. not even the place I bought it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/30/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
What model is it.? First we need to know if it is loosing spark. Take a spare plug, when unit quits, pull spark plug wire and put the spare plug in the wire , and with the plug grounded, see if you have spark. If you have spark, we need to look at the fuel system. Does it have an electric solenoid on the carburetor ? Newer models do, some older units don't. If it has it, listen for it to audibly click when you turn on the key. It should click(open) each time the key is turned on and has to stay open all the time the key is on. Lets check these, and get back o me when you have checked them. Thanks.