Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

ON A 4BGEFA26100M 4000WATT GASOLINE GENERATOR, CAN YOU TELL…

Customer Question
ON A 4BGEFA26100M 4000WATT GASOLINE...
ON A 4BGEFA26100M 4000WATT GASOLINE GENERATOR, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE RESISTOR AND THE LITTLE SQUARE FOUR PRONG BOX ARE FOR, THAT ARE SCREWED ON TO THE ALUMINUM BELLHOUSING JUST ABOVE THE STARTER?
THE RESISTOR IS CYLINDRICAL WITH TWO SPADE TERMINALS AND THE LITTLE BLACK ITEM BELOW IS ABOUT 1 1/4 INCH SQUARE AND HAS FOUR SPADE TERMINALS. ONE OF THE TERMINALS IS CONNECTED TO THE RESISTOR ABOVE.
I NEED THE PART NUMBERS FOR THE TWO ITEMS.

THANKS SONI
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/30/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

The cylindrical object is indeed a resistor, and the square is called a bridge rectifier.

I am guessing they are there as part of a battery charge circuit.

The reason I say I am guessing is because your set should not have either part on it.

Are you certain about the model number?

Do these objects look factory, or do they look like they were added on after the fact?

What are the numbers on the wires connected to both objects?

If we can determine where they go, you may be able to do without them.

Thanks for the reply Hank,

I do know that these are a factory setup because i bought this generator new in the early 90's and this is the first time it had a problem.

Both parts are factory mounted to the aluminum housing apparently for cooling purposes. That would make sense for a resistor and a rectifier bridge. There is a little boss cast in to the back of the bell housing, right above the plain where the starter mounts, that these 2 items are attached with the same torx head screws as are used in many other locations on this APU.

I double checked the model # XXXXX it is correct.

Are these parts present on other models? Maybe we can get the part numbers for those?

Thanks Soni

I can absolutely get part numbers.

The resistor and rectifier are used on many different models.

Like the idiot I am, I was looking at the schematic for a spec N set, not spec M.

According to parts manual, your set should actually have 2 resistors - 1 for the charging circuit, and one for the fuel pump.

The rectifier is for the fuel pump circuit. Since your resistor and rectifier are connected, we will assume it is for the fuel pump circuit.

The resistor will be part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

The rectifier can be either part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN(1st choice), or part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN(alternate).

Both parts are available from Cummins/Onan, although they say the(NNN) NNN-NNNNis only available as part of some kind of kit.

The rectifier is also available from www.partsfortechs.com

The resistor and the 0935 rectifier are both available from www.generator-parts.com

The resistor is available from www.jackssmallengines.com