Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a husky riding mower. model number yth2448. It wont…

I have a husky riding...
I have a husky riding mower. model number yth2448. It won't start. I turn the key and it just clicks. I tried jumping it and checked all the wiring...any suggestions

Burton
6/29/2010
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

If it's clicking you probably don't have a blown fuse. However, you can find it by following the small red wire from the top of the starter solenoid toward the key switch. It will be inline on this wire.

If you jump across the two top terminals of the solenoid with a screwdriver shaft, being careful to hold onto the insulated handle and not letting the screwdriver blade touch anything other than the terminals, does it crank over?

I haven't tried by passing with the screw driver.

Let me know the results and we'll continue. This will help isolate what part of the circuit is at fault. We'll keep narrowing it down until we pinpoint it.

Do you have access to a voltmeter in case we need it?

ok the fuse is fine. I placed the screw driver across the two top connectors after pulling the wires connected to them off one was a white wire the other had 2 wires coming off it and it did nothing. I do have a voltmeter but I've never used on before so you would have to tell me what setting to put it on so does this mean a bad solenoid

The top terminals solenoid should be jumped with the wires attached, but there should be two large red ones. One coming from the battery, and the other continuing to the starter. This is what it should look like:

graphic

it has the wire coming from the battery to the solenoid and another red wire going to the starter. than there is two wires at the top that plug into the solenoid those where the ones I tired to withe the screw driver. was I suppose to touch the 2 red wire posts?

ok I touched the correct post you where talking about and it turns over fine

So that tells us the battery, battery cables, and starter are ok. The problem is somewhere on the low current side.

The next test will let us know if the solenoid is ok or not. Turn your voltmeter to read DC voltage, please. If there are multiple scales, you want to be able to read 12 Volts, so if you have a 20 Volt scale that would be good. Some are "auto-ranging" so you don't to worry about it in that case.

There should be two smaller terminals at the base of the solenoid that have 2 wires (black and white) connected to them. Please put the red meter probe to the black wire and the black meter probe to the white wire and turn the key switch to the start position. Do you get 12 VDC?

I do any reading
I'm sorry? You got no voltage reading at all with the key in the start position, is that correct?

yes no voltage at all

I'm not sure of your comfort level with electrical, so if I'm not explaining something well enough let me know. If you look at the schematic, the starting systems works like this:

graphic

Starting from the positive post of the battery, the large red cable runs to the top post of the solenoid. From there a smaller red wire continues on through the fuse and ammeter (if equipped) to the ignition key switch terminal marked "B" (battery).

When the key switch is in the start position, the B terminal and the "S" (starter) terminal are connected internally so you should get 12VDC on the "S" terminal when the key is in the start position.

Voltage travels from there to the PTO switch which must be disengaged (off) for voltage to pass through it.

The wire continues from the PTO switch to the Clutch/Brake switch which must on (pedal depressed) for the voltage to continue to the small terminals at the base of the solenoid. When voltage is applied to the base of the solenoid, the starter motor will turn.

To troubleshoot this, please work your way backwards, starting at the small energizing terminals at the base of the solenoid, then to the clutch switch, then to the PTO switch, then to the ignition switch. Put the black probe of your meter to a good ground on the frame, and look for voltage with the red probe of your meter. Remember the key switch must be in the start position while checking, so you may need an extra hand while doing this.

If you do this you'll quickly find where the defective item is.

Edited by Rick on 6/29/2010 at 9:47 PM EST
so I have to check each individual switch you mentioned and if one has no power than that is the bad switch
Absolutely correct. You can work either forward or backward, but the goal is to find where the power breaks. There will be a bad switch of a bad wire. I actually usually start in the middle. If there's power there, no reason to check before. If there's no power, nor reason to check after. Saves a bit of time that way.
Do you recomend a switch that is known for this. I don't know where half these switches are located on the mower
With the key on but not pushed to the start position to where it will turn over I'm getting a click sound from the hour meter I've never heard this before and when I try to get voltage of the connectors I get nothing

Sorry for the delay. Something unexpected came up.

The most common are either the ignition switch, or the two safety switches, all go out about equally with one another.

If you are not getting voltage from the "S" terminal in the start position, but you are getting voltage to the "B" terminal in every position, then the ignition switch is bad. If you are not getting voltage to the "B" terminal, follow the wire back to the solenoid and either the fuse has blown or the wire is disconnected. The small wire from the "B" terminal runs to the top post of the starter solenoid and is connected with the large red wire from the + post of the battery. There should always be voltage there.

I've never heard the hour meter click, so you have me stumped there. Are you sure it's the hour meter? Could it be the fuel solenoid on the carburetor clicking instead? It should click when you go between the off and run positions.

Edited by Rick on 6/29/2010 at 11:58 PM EST
no its right by the ignition switch and when you put your hand on the hour meter you can feel as it clicks. I didn't know if that would be enough to break the circuit. I tried just starting it by the post but all it does is turn over. I don't know what to do with this mower. I just need to get it to start so I can cut the jungle back. I'm still trying to figure out all these switches you mentioned but I'm not any good at figuring out these diagrams

It's pretty simple once you understand it, but believe me, it took me a while way back when so I can relate.

Maybe it would help to think of it in a straight line. First, before the unit starts, the manufacturer requires certain conditions to be met for safety. You have to have the deck off and the brake on before the starter will turn. That's why they have the safety switches in there.

A quick aside, what sometimes makes these a bit more confusing is that each safety switch has four wires - two are for the cranking circuit (turning the starter), and two are for the grounding circuit (allowing or preventing the spark plug to fire). While they work together, for our purposes they are completely independent of one another, so you can ignore half the wires for now and concentrate just on the cranking circuit.

Here's the path: battery > fuse > key switch > pto safety switch > clutch safety switch > solenoid.

The easiest way to find the switches is to just follow the wires. This drawing will show you their relative positions:

graphic

If you need to start it to mow right away and want to postpone the repair, you can always just jump the top solenoid posts or run a jumper cable (like you use for a car) from the positive battery post to the terminal on the starter the red cable is hooked to. You only need to use one wire of the jumper cable, and touch it carefully until the unit starts, then remove the jumper cable. In affect you are becoming the switch by doing that. Remember someone needs to be in the seat, or the seat switch pressed, in order to start.

so what I was doing by touching the post wouldn't of started it? I'm looking for a glimmer of hope here. I'll have to try your way in the morning...its dark here now. I'll let you know.

I just tried the way you said and it won't turn over at all

Is the battery still charged? What's the voltage reading? If you jumper from the positive battery post directly to the starter with a thick car jumper cable you are bypassing everything in between.

I actually used my 600 amp portable jumper for boosting a dead car battery. I don't know if that makes a difference or not I wouldn't think it would. The one thing I've noticed with this mower is every since I got in 05 if you don't depress the brake to an exact spot and use the key in a kind of short repeated turn the mower won't turn over. I'm just adding that because I don't know if that helps or not but other than that its been a good mower. You don't think its the solenoid??

I'm hearing some mixed symptoms here actually. The solenoid clicking but the starter not turning over is usually either a bad solenoid or a low battery. The solenoid clicking is an indication that the energizing tab at the base is getting current supplied to it. The solenoid is basically a type of relay, using low current from the key switch to energize an electromagnet inside to close the top contacts and allow high current to pass from the battery to the starter through the large cables.

But if your battery and starter are in good shape, the jumpering from the positive battery post to the terminal on the starter the cable is hooked to bypasses everything except the battery and starter.

Since you used a portable jumper instead of a single cable, how did you hook it up? Did the negative cable of the jumper get grounded to the tractor frame or engine, and the positive cable get touched to the starter?

I placed the neg on a good ground on the frame and pos to the bolt the battery cable connects too on the starter. So I should replace the solenoid and since its an 05 I might as well get the battery replaced. Any thing else you suggest?? Did I hook the portable jumper up right when I tried it or should it be grounded to the motor

If the frame is well grounded you should be able to go from either it or the engine block. You might try the block to be on the safe side, but if the ground isn't available on both sides then there will be problems. On some riders, not all, there is a grounding strap between the engine and the frame that sometimes gets corroded. You can do an ohms check with your meter between the negative battery terminal an various points on the frame and engine to verify that you have continuity.

I'm thinking that you have a solenoid problem, but I haven't seen positive proof of that, and I'm not one to replace parts just to see. I prefer testing to make sure I'm responsible with my customer's money. I hate to see unnecessary parts purchased.

The battery can be checked with your volt meter. When it's fully charged it should be putting out about 12.6-12.7 VDC. (12.1 is 50% discharged.) If you take a reading on the battery when the starter is engaged, it shouldn't drop more than two volts. That's kinda a "po' boy's" load tester that works really well.

Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
thank you very much for your help.something went wrong when I accepted, I went to a page for feed back and than it booted me back to here before I could fill anything out.
Thank you so much for the accept. Best of success with all your hands touch...