Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Thank you for your responds, I lost the answer to my question,

Customer Question
can you please resumit....
Thank you for your responds, I lost the answer to my question, can you please resumit.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/29/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Here is the link to your original question:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3oj5e-i-have-a-toro-gts-guaranteed-to-start-6-5-hp-mower-trouble

You can send an email to [email protected] to have this question closed. Be sure to include a link to this question in the email.

Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

If you cannot find the original question I will post the answer here again. You do not need to hit the ACCEPT buuton this time and as Hank has said, you can contact Justanswer at [email protected] to cancel this question so you will not be charged again.

Previous answer:

The actual problem that you have is a restricted carburetor that needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. There are small passages in the carburetor that get plugged up and then the carburetor will not provide enough fuel to run proplerly.

When the shops are repairing this, they may not be getting the carburetor completely cleaned. Also they may be right to some degree. What I mean by that is. You cannot use ANY gasoline that is over 30 days old. Todays gasolines will turn to gum and varnish within aproximately 30 days. This is actually a microscopic thing that until the dirt and gime becomes very large, we cannot see.

Also, when the gas tank and carburetor is cleaned, it is 100% necessary that you REPLACE the fuel line. An old fuel line will actually start tocrumble and send the very small rubber particles into the carburetor and passages...plugging it up.

Sometimes these carburetors cannot be cleaned because some of the passageways may be uncleanable. And you might be best advised to buy a new carburetor.

Here is a fast way to get this carburetor to work, but it doesn't always work and it really is best to use a complete carburetor kit.

The nut that holds on the carburetor bowl has several small holes in it. Some are on the sides and one may be in the end. In order to completely clean the carburetor correctly, you MUST clean these holes with a tag wire or a jet drill. (If a jet drill is used, DO NOT use a drill that is bigger than the hole or the engine will run too rich.)

View Full Image

Here is my comprehensive carburetor and fuel answer that may give you some ideas.

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems. Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasoline's contain MTBE and alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol is partially water (H2O). And they call it "Oxygenated fuels! It is the oxygen that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale... and fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor must be removed from the engine. Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air. Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.

Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them by blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling.

Reassemble using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.

DO NOT TRY TO REASSEMBLE WITHOUT USING A COMPLTE CARBURETOR KIT! You will just end up having to do the job again.

ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.

If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.

If the carburetor still doesn't work correctly, you may have to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses carb cleaner and ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean when traditional methods fail.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks