Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

my riding mower stopped the other day, it wont start it just…

Customer Question
my riding mower stopped the...
my riding mower stopped the other day, it wont start it just clicks. I ran a cablr from battery to starter it still wont start got any ideas.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/29/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Do you have a voltmeter so we can check some items? Check the battery, should have at least 12.5 volts, then check it when you try to start. Should not go below 9 volts. Check the positive post to the frame , you should have battery voltage. This tells us we have a good ground. Then follow the positive cable to the solenoid and check the connections there , to be sure they are tight and clean. Look for the small red wire that is on the same post as the positive battery cable. This is the wire that goes to the starter switch to make the system work. It should have the fuse in it for the mower. Check the fuse . Let me know and we will go further. Thanks.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I got 9 volts of the seliniod once, but I could not get a reading again. Did not get a voltage reading off of the battery.
I got 9 volts of the seliniod once, but I could not get a reading again. Did not get a voltag e reading off of the battery. I think the connections to the selenoid are loose Ill tighten them.
I got 9 volts of the seliniod once, but I could not get a reading again. Did not get a voltag e reading off of the battery. I think the connections to the selenoid are loose Ill tighten them. there is no voltage from the selinoid to the starter. The selinoid posts on the selinoid wont tighten they are loose, this might the problem
The fuse is ok. I didnt get a volt reading until turned I turned the selinoid posts, the selinoid posts are loose.
You need a new solenoid. sorry.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Thank you!
Let me know if it works.