Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 6400 with 4 remote cylinders at the rear and one of…

Customer Question
I have a 6400 with...
I have a 6400 with 4 remote cylinders at the rear and one of them is leaking badly when my shredder is plugged into it and I lift the shredded up. How do I repair ir and what do I need to do the repair?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/29/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

The cylinders have a gland nut that unscrews from the barrel, there is two different cylinders on the unit, it looks like two inners and two outers. The longer one uses a john Deere # XXXXX the shorter one uses # XXXXX seal kits. Here is a picture from Deere. LX02/LX021708_______UN09JUL99.gif

I used the wrong terminology. What is leaking is one of the couplers. There are 4 on the back of my 6400. It seems the top right coupler is leaking when I connect my shredder and then lift it. With no pressure on it, it doesn't seem to leak but when I use the control to raise the shredder hyd. oil flows out the coupler. Yesterday I used the bottom 2 couplers with my batwing shredder and hyd. oil was not flowing but must still be leaking from somewhere because the oil reservoir kept filling up.

Do I need to get a coupler seal kit? How difficult is it to install? Can you tell me how to install it? Should I just install seal kit in the coupler that seems to be leaking or all 4 couplers?

Technician: Benjy, Technician replied 8 years ago
Benjy
Benjy, Technician

You may need a seal kit but most likely just need a new o-ring JD Part #R83630. This o ring is goes inside the coupler just behind the locking balls. You will need an o-ring/dental pick to pry out the old o-ring and roll in the new. Make sure to lube the o-ring before trying to seat it back in the groove.

This is a common problem and you may want to keep a couple of spares on hand, they are inexpensive and with a little practice pretty quick to change.

These o-rings are usually damaged by damaged tips on the implement side. Usually a burr or sharp edge on the tip. Or a flat spot from banging the tip on something to relive pressure. Inspect your tips carefully, make sure they are clean, and not damaged. Rusty tips will also have a tendency to tear the o-ring. Keeping your tips in good condition will save headaches later.

If this doesn't fix it I would strongly suggest replacing the entire coupler. Yes you can replace the seals deeper in the coupler but they are a ROYAL PAIN to put back together. If you attempt this take two extra doses of patience before you begin. Replacing the whole couple is simply a matter of popping the dust cover off, unscrewing the old coupler and screwing on the new one, then replace dust cover.

Please accept my answer and leave feedback(bonuses GREATLY appreciated)

or

contact me for further clarification

Are the o-rings metal or rubber? Would a damaged o-ring cause the coupler to leak even when that coupler is not being used, if the set of couplers below are being used? Can I get an o-ring pick at an auto parts store?

Thanks.

The o-ring is rubber. No if it is leaking when nothing is plugged into it, it is damaged/failed poppet inside the coupler. However if one coupler is leaking a lot it may make the others look like the may be leaking. Yes, most auto parts stores carry picks. Also many hardware stores, and sears. I prefer the type that are like mini screwdrivers, because of the arthritis. The goose neck looking one is the one I use the most.

I'm going to accept your answer but just so you know, I went to the J. Deere dealer and talked to a mechanic. He said it was not an o- ring because the oil was flowing out the coupler when the shredder hose was connected and still leaking when using other couplers. He said to rebuild a coupler is more expensive than buying new ones. I bought 2 new couplers to replace the top 2 on my tractor. The bottom 2 are seldom used and don't seem to be leaking so I decided not to replace them now. Installing the new couplers was easy except there was no nut on the old couplers so I had to use a pipe wrench to remove them. I suppose this is a common problem and thus J. deere has supposedly resigned the couplers. The new ones cost $80. each. Ridiculous, isn't it?

Thanks for your help.