Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Onan microquiet 4000 in a toy hauler camper. It is…

Customer Question
I have an Onan microquiet...
I have an Onan microquiet 4000 in a toy hauler camper. It is about 3.5 years old and has 530 hours on it. It broke down a few weeks back and we took it to Cummins. They discovered that it had dropped a valve and after waiting almost 2 weeks they got the parts and repaired it. They installed the genset back in the camper and everything seemed to work fine. The next day I decided that I needed to run it for awhile just to make sure everything was going to stay together and it shutdown after running about 3 hours and would not restart. I let it cool down and it fired up and only ran about an hour.I live in Texas and it has been in the mid to uppers 90's during the days. Last night a cool front came through and cooled us down to the upper 70's. I fired her up and she ran all night. Any ideas???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

What is the full model number of your genset?

If the last letter is 'J' or later, please retrieve any fault codes for me.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: flash flash, 1 second pause, flash flash flash flash flash is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

What Fault Code are you getting?