Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Ive got a John Deere 1400s Weedeater and the pull cord has…

Customer Question
I've got a John Deere...
I've got a John Deere 1400s Weedeater and the pull cord has come out. In order to get the housing off the recoil the clutch assembly needs to come off. Can you tell me how to remove it and how to go about reinstalling the pull cord.

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/30/2010
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

Remove the spark plug.

Take a piece of starter rope and push it down in the spark plug hole.

Turn the engine over until the piston contacts the soft starter rope. This will act as a piston stop.

You must remover the clutch first. There is a hole in the middle of the clutch. Inside the hole is a Torx drive screw. You must remove this screw and the clutch drum will come off. Next take a rag and put it over the clutch. Use a large pair of pliers or a pipe wrench to grab hold of the clutch through the rag. Be careful not to ruin the clutch with the jaws of the pliers or pipe wrench. turn the clutch off. Now you should be able to get to the starter pulley to replace the rope. Be very careful while replacing the rope as there is a large spring under the pulley that is there to rewind the rope. If this pops out, you could be hurt..at the very least you will spend hours trying to put this spring back in.

Reverse the process to reassemble.

After the repair, back the piston off and remove the rope from the cylinder.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful,Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thanks