Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have a TB20CS trimmer with attachments. since 2006. Have…

Have a TB20CS...
Have a TB20CS trimmer with attachments. since 2006. Have used the unit thsi year and cleaned out the unit of old gas and put in a new plug. Now the unit will not stay running past the initial start. Have Followed the manual instructions and have cleaned all the parts.

Seems starved for fuel! Can the ceramic filter be holding up the fuel intake. It only stay running on position # XXXXX when I go to # XXXXX it stalls and I have to repeat the initial procedure! Have not adjusted anything on the unit

Steve
6/29/2010
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

Hi Steve,

Check both the in-tank filter and the air filter to make sure are allowing unrestricted flow. However, your statement about cleaning out the old gas makes me believe most likely you're going to need a carburetor cleaning and rebuild. Gas turns quickly to gum and varnish that will plug the small passages in your carburetor.

I recommend using fuel no older than three weeks unless you are mixing in a good quality fuel stabilizer. Likely 70% of the problems like this we see are fuel or carburetor related. Today's fuels with MTBE and ethanol are nowhere as stable as the fuels we had a few years ago. I recommend against purchasing fuel from some of the smaller stores that sell fuel for less than the well-known stations such as Chevron, Shell, etc. These smaller companies get a price break on fuel from the distributors because they are buying fuel that is near the 30-day mark. Distributors cannot sell the fuel past that age so they offer a discount to these buyers. Result is that you may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump.

Because of the fuel situation we see a lot of carburetor problems. If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop. If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical. Clean every part with carburetor cleaner (use spray since it's a small carb) and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air or use soft tag wire to make sure they're not blocked, them blow through them. Do not get carburetor cleaner on the non-metallic parts since it will cause them to decompose and further plug the carburetor. Remove the carb cleaner from the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them thoroughly before reassembling using your pictures or drawings as a guide.

Hope this info is helpful!

The carb is very clean, looks almost new and was washed out (spray) and the fuel lines blow out with air. The air filter was washed out and re-oiled per instructions. Only int in=line ceramic filter is old, that was cleaned but still appears brown. Once all of the above were done it was reassembled and stared per instructions, but stalls when going from start postion 1 to position 2.
The carburetor was completely disassembled?

Not all the parts were taken out but when we looked inside it was clean, almost new!

is there a diagram if the internal parts locations for review if we open it again, to make s sure we did not move anything?

It's never what you can see in a carburetor, but always what you cannot that's the problem. It's the tiny passages, not the throat, that gets plugged. How long did gas sit in it?

Are you getting good flow from the brown filter?

What's the model and serial of your TB20CS and I'll post a carburetor diagram for you?

I drained the gas out last fall, and the unit worked this year until last week, when I saw particles in my fuel container. I discarded that fuel purchased new and started

fresh. The unit starts but beyond position #1 stalls out!

The brown filter seems to give flow, but to measure the amount would be hard. Other owners of this similar unit said to replace the ceramic filter. One said to eliminate the filter once to see if the unit will run, that should tell me about the filter condition!

Model TB20CS S/n 1A236DB0032 Item # XXXXX

The carb diagram would be helpful

Thank you Steve

Still awaiting the carb post and the additional information.

Thanks again for your help

Hi Steve,

Your model uses a 753-04318 carburetor which is replaced by a 753-04338. The "753" indicates a service kit which means it was changed from the original. Walbro carburetors are being supplied in this kit, but MTD sometimes used Zama or Chinese Ruixing carburetors in production. Can you tell me the name an any numbers stamped on your carburetor, please?

Walbro 34-93 on brass butterfly

Thank you. As far as removing the filter, you can do that, but it potentially introduces contaminants into the carburetor. We usually just blow through them to check or replace them as part of good service. Here's a couple of manuals that should be helpful.

WT Manual

Service Manual

Let me know...

Will try the info after I read over the manuals. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful! I did not take the filter off yet. Will try to get a new one as I don't want to contaminate the carb.

Thanks again

You are very welcome. Please let me know if you run into anything that isn't clear. Very best of success!
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Need to know why no one will repair these units? Do you know of any repair facilties in the 10940 zip code area!

Sorry you're having difficulties with service. Have you tried either of these folks?

THE SMALL ENGINE REPAIR SHOP XXXXX
MIDDLETOWN NY 10940
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

DOMBROWSKI'S L&G CTR XXXXX
FLORIDA NY 10921
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Called both of them, but they say the unit repairs are not cost effective as the parts cost more than the unit and many places will not even consider working on TroyBilt!

I may have to buy a new carb unit to replace it as they do not work on these a carbs!

Thanks

S

With shop labor rates as high they are in many places, few shops repair small carburetors any longer. Most will just swap out a new one. If you want to do the work yourself, you can get a Walbro repair kit for about $10 and use the info in the service manuals I posted previously to guide the process.

It's unfortunate, but the economics of stores selling equipment so cheaply, coupled with the high cost of service parts, and the increased costs of running a repair shop have led to a meltdown of service for smaller equipment. That's one of the reasons this site is so successful, since many homeowners are forced into a choice between do-it-yourself or throw it away and buy a new one.

Wish it were different. But this isn't the same industry I started in a quarter century ago anymore. The rules have changed a lot.