Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

13.5 coronet simplicity, new switch, new selenoid, new battery,

Customer Question
when you remove the starter...
13.5 coronet simplicity, new switch, new selenoid, new battery, when you remove the starter and jump it with a battery the starter turns over at high speed. When you turn the key, you here the slight knock/click of the starter activating (i guess) but it doesn't turn it over. prior to this it was flaky for a month and one time it would turn over and start like new and the next time 5 mins later it would just make the one engagement click.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/30/2010
Technician: Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert replied 8 years ago
Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Normally with the click you described this means a bad solenoid, but from your post it appears that you already replace that. Here is the test to see if the "new" solenoid you bought is bad. With someone on the seat, blade off, and in neutral have them turn the key to the on position. On the solenoid there should be two large posts. Cross these with a screwdriver. It will spark, don't let it scare you. Crossing these two posts it should start. If it does then the solenoid is bad.