Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Troy Bilt power washer purchased in June of 2003.

It has functioned well untill...
I have a Troy Bilt power washer purchased in June of 2003. It has functioned well untill this year. It has been maintained very good with normal maintenance and I've used the pump saver on the pump after every use. It's been kept indoors when not in use.
This year the pressure started fluxtuating badly along with the engine govenor hunting dramatically, this would ocurr after only a minute or two of operation, then the engine will die. It would restart with one pull of the rope and then start ocillating and die. Backing the choke towards closed (1/2 way) helped some but the engine still fluxtuates and will die.
I've replaced the spark plug, been through the fuel system 3 times including rinsing out the tank and removing the manual shutoff valve and running the hose directly to the carburator. There is a good stream of fuel through the carburator with the needle valve removed.
I also removed the pump from the engine to eliminate it as the problem, the engine ran only marginally better but the govenor still hunted badly with the choke full open, it ran a little better by placing the choke half way closed but still ocillates although much less. I visually checked the gaskets between the carburator and the engine and found them to be intact. The throttle valve and choke plates both are secure and functioning properly.
I just removed the spark plug and it appears to be burning clean, no carbon indicating that the engine is running rich.

Ralph Grunhof
6/28/2010
RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN

Hello

YOU ALMOST CERTAINLY HAVE A CARBURETOR PROBLEM : HERE IS WHAT TO DO

THANKS

REMOVE THE CARBURETOR

DISASSEMBLE THE CARBURETOR

SOAK BODY AND PARTS OVERNIGHT IN NAPA COMMERCIAL CARB CLEANER

REASSEMBLE WITH A CARB KIT AND FLOAT FROM LOCAL DEALER

clean fuel filter

REINSTALL CARB

DRAIN FUEL TANK AND LOOK IN THE FUEL SUPPLY CAN FOR WATER

.

NOTE: SOMETIMES A CARBURETOR CANNOT BE SAVED AND HAS TO BE REPLACED

ALWAYS DIAGRAM THE LINKAGE AND PARTS SO IT GETS REASSEMBLED PROPERLY

ALWAYS USE STABIL IN THE FUEL

ALWAYS RUN ENGINE EVERY THREE WEEKS IN OFF SEASON TO CIRCULATE FUEL

RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN

Russ

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do what you recommend and let you know tomorrow.

It does not have a filter installed now, however, I plan on putting in an inline. I always use Stabil in my fuel, and I haven't been running it every 3 weeks as you recommend but will start.

Ralph

Russ

If I should decide to replace the carburator, there are 5 different part numbers shown in the Briggs and Stratton parts catalog for the model(NNN) NNN-NNNNE1 engine that I have. There are different codes that do not tell me anything.

Which carburator part number would be correct?

Ralph

Ralph,

'I think the different part numbers are updates, HOWEVER my recommendation is that you contact the Local Briggs Dealer. They have access to information I do not have.

THANKS

Russ

I'll do that.

thanks

Ralph

Thanks Ralph...have a great day!

Russ

Thanks again. And if I can get this thing working right it will be a great day.

Smile GOOD LUCK

Russ

Well, cleaning did accomplish something, now it doesn't run at all. So, I ordered a carburetor. There are none available in Tulsa or Broken Arrow, where I live. So it'll be 3-5 days before we'll know anything more.

Ralph

ok thanks

Russ

I'll let you know after I replace the carburetor. It should be here Tues or Wed.

Thanks for you patience.

Ralph

THANKS,but the site will time out the question by then.....no fault of yours.
THANK YOU FOR THE KIND FEEDBACK AND BONUS I AM GLAD THIS WORKED