Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Need a manual for our RV generator...Is it possible to download…

Customer Question
Need a manual for our...
Need a manual for our RV generator...Is it possible to download a PDF version?

7NHMFA26105G

Cannot keep it running....have torn down the carb a dozen times and made sure all parts are clean and all ports and holes clear, but so far have not been able to keep it running.

Over this past weekend it would run anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours, but eventually it shut down. And eventually, after resetting the needles valves a dozen times we were able to restart it.

We definitely need instructions for adjusting the carburetor

Can you help?

Thanks

Bill Kincheloe
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/29/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

I have seen your conversation with Rick, and he is correct. You should keep all correspondence to this question, so you are not charged twice.

I will request to have the other question closed and your deposit refunded.

With your set running for up to 6 hours, this may prove to be a very elusive issue. But I am willing to go the distance with you if you are willing to put up with my ugly mug at the left side of the responses.

This does not sound like a fuel issue. If it were, the set would most likely not run for that long of a period. It would also run rough.

This sounds more like an electrical issue.

The first place to look is inside the control box. Check each and every connection in there to make sure they are clean and tight.

Next, I would move on to the brushes and slip rings.

Remove the air cleaner. Directly behind the air cleaner is the end bell of the generator. In the middle of the end bell is a rectangular plastic cover. Use a flat tip screwdriver to pry it out and expose the brush block.

In the center of the brush block are 2 round holes with a single bare wire coming out of them. These are the brush leads. Use a small diameter probe to stick down in these holes until it hits the brush. Mark the probe where it is flush with the brush block. Remove the probe and measure from the mark to the tip of the probe. If this measures 1" or more, the brushes are worn and must be replaced.

Leaving all wires hooked up, remove the 2 screws securing the brush block by turning each screw about 4 turns at a time. The brush block must come out straight, as it is made of ceramic and is very fragile. Be very careful to not drop the screws. It can be harder to get them out than to get a lollipop from a 2 year old. Use the wires to hold the brush block and guide it out.

Examine the brushes. They should not have any chips or cracks and should be worn in a smooth arc pattern. They should slide freely in the slots in the brush block. Clean the brush block with electrical contact cleaner.

Now examine the slip rings. They are the 2 bands that the brushes ride on. They are made of copper and should be as shiny as a new penny. They should be smooth and not have any scratches or pits. If they are dirty, clean them by attaching a piece of scotch brite pad to the end of a small stick and holding it to the brushes. Remove the spark plug wires and press start to crank the set and make the slip rings turn. WATCH YOUR FINGERS!

Once the slip rings are clean, use an ohmmeter to ohm across the rings. They should read about 20-30 ohms.

Reassemble the set and see how it runs. If this did not help, please let me know and we will dig deeper.

When the set quits, will it immediately restart, will it restart only after some extended cranking, or does it have to sit for a while before it will restart?

Does it run smoothly while it is running?

When was the last time it had a good service done?

What grade of oil are you using?

Thank you

Yes I too have begun to suspect electrical. How about the coil...under fairly intense heat

Could it be "opening" and then closing when it cools?

It is possible, but not very likely.

When a coil overheats and opens, it is usually within 10-15 minutes.

Please do the checks and answer the questions I posted above.