Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a craftsman model 917.273280 b&S 21 hp motor. He acts…

Customer Question
I have a craftsman modelNNN-NN-NNNNb&S...
I have a craftsman modelNNN-NN-NNNNb&S 21 hp motor. He acts like it is running out of gas. I have cleaned the gas tank out, the lines, and the bowl on the carb. Still acts like it is running out of gas. Also one of the screws on the timing was loose, I do not know how far it moved, would you also be able to tell me how far they are supposed to be away from the flywheel?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/28/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
The coil should be .010 from the flywheel. When you say it is starving for gas , does it quit or just lose power. It has a fuel shutoff solenoid in the base of the carburetor that has to keep the fuel open for the engine to run. If it heats up and shuts off, the mower will die . They can go bad or they can lose voltage to them. Listen for it to click each time you turn the key on and off. Let me know. thanks.

Is hard to explain, if you are at full throttle, the motor sounds like it should and then within a second drop rpms, and then within a second go back to full, it does this constantly. When you move the throttle to half or lower the engine dies

The solenoid does click when you turn the key on and off.

Does it do it with the blades off, or just when the blades are engaged.? If it only does it with the blades engaged, check the battery voltage before it happens and when it happens, if the voltage is dropping, the fuel solenoid can be fluctuating from open to close as the voltage changes.
It does it all the time, blades off or on
Is there anyway you could remove the solenoid and try it without it? Plug the hole with something, or remove the working end?
Not sure, I will check it out, but will be a day or two, I work nights and can't mess with it tonight. Thanks for all your help, if I have anymore questions I will get back to you.
Just leave question open and I will check back.Do you know if the solenoid holds the bowl on the carb?

no, the bowl is held on by 2 screws

Ok, anything will make a plug, even a wooden dowel.
Thanks for trying to help, but it seems the issue was the timing
How did you retime??

With the screw that was loose on the coil, it threw everything off, I used spark plug gappers to adjust the distance between the coil and flywheel. I might add that it was sensitive, but once I got it right, it purrs like a kitten

I thought you had done that earlier!! good job!!