Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a craftsman lt 2000 lawn tractor. When I push the lever…

Customer Question
I have a craftsman lt...
I have a craftsman lt 2000 lawn tractor. When I push the lever up to engage the blade, nothing happens. I can drive around all day but the blades will not engage. Please help before I go out and spend way too much money. One further question, a frayed headlight wire should not have an impact should it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/28/2010
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
The headlight wire would not have anything to do with it. Can you give me the model number please so I know which LT2000 you have? It will look like 917.xxxxxx.
NNN-NN-NNNN
Thank you. This model uses a cable from the lever to the deck. Please check the cable where it connects and see if it's still intact or if it's broken, please. Let me know and we'll continue...
I'm at work right now so I will check when I get home. For now, maybe this info will help. When the engine is running and I set the parking brake I can get off of the tractor and the engine will continue to run. However, when the engine is running with the blade engage lever up and the parking brake set, as soon as I get off the seat the engine shuts off. This leads me to believe the cable is still intact but I will check it when I get home from work.
Keep me posted. With the extra info it sounds like something may have just come loose. Look for the deck safety switch (plunger-type switch with two black and two white wires). You'll probably see it's not being depressed because of something loosening. Let me know and we'll continue...
Did you get a chance to check this?
I checked the wires and everything is connected. All this was done prior to contacting you. I will have to call a small engine repair shop to pick up my mower and fix it. I appreciate the attempt.
Good deal. Just trying to save you some money by stepping you through exactly what you'll be paying the repair shop to do. Best of success in all you do...