Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 445. The tractor runs fine but it wont start with…

Customer Question
I have a 445....
I have a 445. The tractor runs fine but it won't start with the key. You have to cross fire the starter. All the safety switches are good. (seat,brake,mower deck) I have a green light on the board when the key is turned on, but the starter never gets power from the wire that is connected to it. I have checked all connections and even replaced the board. ( had a new one in the tool box) I just don't want to start throwing parts at this tractor. I sure would appreciate your help with this. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/28/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Locate the wire at the starter. go back to the key switch and find the same wire, try a jumper from the key switch to the starter. If it works, replace the wire.
Relist: Answer quality.
Technician: Benjy, Technician replied 8 years ago
Benjy
Benjy, Technician
Try cycling the PTO switch while holding key in start position. Sometimes you can get them to kick the starter if in just the right position. If the safety switches are good the next step is the PTO switch. Next would be to check the wiring to each switch.