Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

x485 engine surges after warmup and backfires

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/28/2010
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

There are a couple of things that can cause this.

First, the valve may be out of adjustment and need to be re-set.

Second the fuel system probably is not getting enough fuel to the engine. Restricted passages in a carburetor or dirty fuel injectors are usually the cause. (I didn't look up to see which type of fuel system you have) but in any case the cause is the same.

Check the fuel screen inside the fuel tank to make sure that it is not clogged.

Once in a great while an electronic ignition will cause this problem, but I would check the other things first.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks