Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

April 30,2010 I ordered and replaced the starter on my 18.5…

Customer Question
April 30,2010 I ordered and...
April 30,2010 I ordered and replaced the starter on my 18.5 craftsmans riding mower, model #917.273821. The starter has to be replaced again. Why has this starter gone bad? Could that have been a faulty starter?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/28/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
What happened to the original, what has happened to this one? The starter should last for years. Is the motor going out, or the drive gear stripping?
<p>The mower has been working-last week when I went to  use it yeasterday it would not start. After testing the starter was found to be the problem.</p>
So the starter is getting power, but won't turn the engine? Is the battery strong with good voltage. Low voltage kills starters. I would hate to see you have to go through this again.
The battery was replaced when it was serviced in April. It is the starter -thus I feel it is faulty.
Ok, it could be faulty but you always wonder when you have two failures as to what is the rest of the story. Have a good day.