Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1993 Pace Arrow with an Onan Marquis 7000 generator…

Customer Question
I have a 1993 Pace...
I have a 1993 Pace Arrow with an Onan Marquis 7000 generator with a 7NHMFA26106D model number. A year ago the generator would produce low voltage unless I hit a bump going down the road. Then it would kick in and work great. This year it will not produce more than 60 volts at all. I already replaced the voltage regulator and there was no change. What do I do next in order to get it working. The generator runs fine and starts right up.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/28/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

It sounds like you may have bad brushes or dirty slip rings.

Remove the air cleaner. Directly behind the air cleaner is the end bell of the generator. In the middle of the end bell is a rectangular plastic cover. Use a flat tip screwdriver to pry it out and expose the brush block.

In the center of the brush block are 2 round holes with a single bare wire coming out of them. These are the brush leads. Use a small diameter probe to stick down in these holes until it hits the brush. Mark the probe where it is flush with the brush block. Remove the probe and measure from the mark to the tip of the probe. If this measures 1" or more, the brushes are worn and must be replaced.

Leaving all wires hooked up, remove the 2 screws securing the brush block by turning each screw about 4 turns at a time. The brush block must come out straight, as it is made of ceramic and is very fragile. Be very careful to not drop the screws. It can be harder to get them out than to get a lollipop from a 2 year old. Use the wires to hold the brush block and guide it out.

Examine the brushes. They should not have any chips or cracks and should be worn in a smooth arc pattern. They should slide freely in the slots in the brush block. Clean the brush block with electrical contact cleaner.

I realize that you have already cleaned the slip rings, but we need to ohm them out to check for the proper resistance. They should read about 20-30 ohms.

Reassemble the set and see how it runs. If this did not help, please let me know and we will dig deeper.

Were you able to do these checks yet?

I have not had time to check these yet. I will get to it by the end of the weekend. Thanks for your help.

okay, I just went ahead and picked up a new set of brushes and installed them. I then tried and there was no change. It is still not working. What should I try next?

Check the slip rings and clean if necessary.

What is the ohm reading on them?

You exactly should I check the ohm of the slip rings. I went through the brushes and I only get about 6 ohms.

If you are only getting 6 ohms on the brushes, this would indicate a short in the windings of the rotor.

Low resistance equals low voltage output.

Unfortunately, the time has come to disassemble the set, pull the rotor, and inspect it for damage.

If there is physical damage, you are going to need to replace it.

I was out messing with the generator again tonight an noticed that the fan on the back air condtioner would run but high speed was more like slow speed while the generator was running. I then tried to kick in the AC and it would pull the generator down but there was not enough juice to make it go. It leads me to ask this question, If the windings were bad wouldn't that mean there would be no voltage at all intead of just low voltage. I just want to make sure before I pull the thing out to repair it.

No, it can still produce voltage.

The windings in the rotor will be shorted together, but not necessarily to ground.

A short to ground will cause the set to not produce electricity.

There is one other test you can do, but would require the use of a frequency meter.

Do you have one?

Ok, sorry it has taken me so long to get back you. I moved, my email changed and I needed to get things checked out. I bought a manual for the thing and checked out the windings. I also took them out to be sure and had a rewinding shop look at them and they checked out fine both times so i put it back together and same thing.

Could the problem be with the rectifier?

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 years ago

I am sorry about not replying last night - we have been working lots of over time at work, and I did not get home until well after midnight.

I am not going to be so naive as to say that the rectifier will not cause this - I have seen some pretty strange things happen - but a bad rectifier will normally either cause the fuse to blow or windings in the stator to melt.

Your set should not have a rectifier in it. Onan had a bad problem with the rectifier in a couple of sets, including this one, shorting out and melting stators. The rectifier is supposed to be removed from the set. The rectifier is not needed.

Here is how to remove it. This is assuming you have the internal rectifier - a small square block, about 1-1/4" square with 4 connectors, one in each corner, and is mounted inside the control box on the back wall.

If you have the external rectifier - an aluminum device a bit smaller than a pack of cigarettes with 3 terminals, mounted to the back of the set above the starter, this will not be necessary.

- Disconnect all leads from the rectifier.

- 2 of the leads are marked 'AC'. Cut the connectors off these 2 leads, and cover the leads with heat shrink tubing, or as an alternative, with a wire nut and electrical tape.

- Secure these leads so they can not come in contact with any ground source.

- One lead is marked CR10+ K1B+. The other end of this lead is connected to the starter solenoid. Simply remove this lead completely.

- The last lead is marked CR10- R6, and goes to a resistor mounted to the back of the set. Since you have the set out, remove this lead completely. An alternative is to cut the connectors of both ends of the lead and tape the ends.

- Remove the resistor.

- Remove the other lead from the resistor and discard it.

What exact readings did you get on all windings of the generator when you tested it?

Is your meter analog or digital?

Is is capable of measuring frequency?

I am not sure because I had my dads shop check them out with the manual. Then I had an electical rewind shop take a look at them and both said they are not the problem.

Remove the rectifier as described above, and let me know what happens.