Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

In reference to variable speed pulley on MTD garden tractors.

Customer Question
In reference to variable...
In reference to variable speed pulley on MTD garden tractors. Are there internal springs or parts which fail in these? With belts removed center section of pulley slides freely up & down. Should it be this way?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/27/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Yes , there are no more parts, that is how it works.
My transmission is good; replaced belts with exact width & length. When shift lever on left is advanced forward, front belt is loose and engine pulley slips inside belt. This problem occurred after being idle all winter. Any ideas? We will pay you.
First impression is that the belts are routed wrong. I went to web site to check but could not get your model number to come up. The belt should be under tension at all times and that has to happen by the spring loaded idler keeping tension on the belts.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Belts aren't routed wrong
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

The first thing that you have to know is that the belts that are used on these vari-drive systems are VERY SPECIAL belts and you cannot use regular belts of the same width and length. They are made especially to work with these systems. The regular belts CANNOT work on these systems.

You ,must use the EXACT OEM belts or you will be wasting your times.

If the belts are not the exact belts, the vari-drive will not work.

The other expert was partially correct with his answer, in that the variable pulleys have no other parts inside them. They just slide up and down like you said.

Also make sure that the idler pulleys are good and that the bearings inside them do not make any noise. If they make noise, the bearings are bad and must be replaced.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks