Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a troy-bilt model 565 self propelled mower; the drive…

I have a troy-bilt model...
I have a troy-bilt model 565 self propelled mower; the drive cord has broken where it is connected; there appears enough wire to reconnect it; my problem I don't know what the wire connects too??? The mower is a front wheel drive unit
6/28/2010
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

This control cable cannot be reattached. It is broken and must be replaced.

Find a good Troy-Bilt / MTD dealer and get the new drive cable.

In fact, if you take the entire mower to them, they can probably replace the cable for you for not very much money. The cable you will have to buy anyway and the labor should be less than $35.00.

I am not sure that you should be able to replace this yourself anyway., but someone that has done many of these in the past can do it very quickly.

If you still would like to have me give you better instructions, let me know and I will try to describe it to you. It is not really something that can be described easily.

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Please send instructions on how to perform the task....thanks

this is not very easy to do.

That is why I said it was best to have a shop do it.

In any case. If this is a Rear wheel drive mower. You have to start by going underneath the mower and removing all of the plastic guards and covers. then you must find the transmission leaver that the cable connects to. It is not easy to find and there is not much room to get your hands. Remove the old cable from this tranmsision are. On top of the mower deck is the cable that has a blask plastic end on it. You must take two screwdrivers and push on the plasti tabes that are locted on each side of the cable end. this will release th cable . Now you can pull the cable out.

Now you can push the new cable through the hole in the deck and snap it in. Then go under the deck and attach the cable end to the transmission lever. Next take the other end of the cable and attatchit to the handle at the top of the handle. That is just about it. You then must adjust the cable to where it is tight enough to work but not too tight.

I have a front wheel drive unit; is it safe to assume the process is the same and it appears everything is on the top side of the mower (exluding the self propelled transmission which is attached to the front fender)

It is very similar. You may not have as much trouble withit as you would if it were a rear drive.