Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Hello I accidentally poured oil down the hole under the airfilter…

Customer Question
Hello I accidentally poured oil...
Hello I accidentally poured oil down the hole under the airfilter on my B&S lawn mower. Yikes what can I do to save it? It won't start and the pull cord seems stuck ( I already cleaned the air filter and the spark plug)

Rochelle
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/27/2010
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

You have gotten oil in places where it shouldn't have gone including the cylinder, muffler and air filter.. Remove the air filter first.

Then remove the spark plug and pull the rope as if to start the engine. Oil will be blown everywhere out of the spark plug hole.Pull the rope many times until you do not get any more oil out.

. Then clean of replace the spark plug and re-install it. REPLACE the air filter if there is any oil on it...do not re-use or clean the air filter!!!!! Check the oil level and fill it to full mark. Now start the engine and stand back....because you won't be able to breath because of all of the SMOKE that will come from the muffler.

Let the engine run until all the smoke is gone. This could take many minutes. The mower should be fine after this.

Clean up all the oil mess.......

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

what do you mean about not re-using the air filter?

I'd previously cleaned it - and I thought that a little oil was good to trap dust and dirt....

also I have a carburator spray cleaner should I use it?

Do not use carburetor cleaner spray on this, you will runin the carburetor parts and diaphrams if it has a diaphram.

Depending on what engine you have. Some air filters are a PAPER air filter.

Some have a FOAM air filter.

IF you have a Paper Air filter, then it cannot have ANY oil on it. If the paper filter has a foam filter over the paper filter, you DO NOT want any oil on that foam at all because it will be sucked into the paper filter and clog it up.

If you have a FOAM filter..ONLY, then you are right, it should have ONLY a very small film of oil on it.

You should put the foam into a very large towel or rag and squeeze all of the oil out of it that you can get. What ill be left will be a very, very, SMALL film of oil that will catch the dirt.

I didn't know what engine you had so I took the safe rout when talking about the air filter.

Do not use carburetor cleaner spray on this, you will ruin the carburetor parts and diaphrams if it has a diaphram.

Ok did drain the oil thru the spark plug hole and also tipped the mower to get some of it out of the hole under the air filter. I replace the spark plug and the air filter - the pull cord it easier to pull but the engine still doesn't start - any more ideas?

There is still oil in the cylinder. You may have to pull the rope many more times with the plug out.

I almost hate to say this,b because I do not like using stating fluid because you can ruin engines by using it , but in this case, after you are sure you have all the oil out of the cylinder, spray a little bit of starting fluid into the spark plug hole and then put the spark plug back in. Remember if it starts, it is going to smoke really bad for a long time until all of the oil is burnt out.

If this doesn't;t work, you are going to have to remove the head bolts and take the head off of the engine. Then clean the oil out of the cylinder and piston area. You will have to buy a new head gasket and make sure you scrape all of the old head gasket off of the head and the cylinder.

You may also have to take the carburetor off and clean it to get the oil out of it.

Make sure that all of the oil is out of the gas tank (This only applies if the carburetor is located on top of the gas tank)

Also, DO NOT TIP the mower to try to get oil out the spark plug hole as this will only put more oil into the cylinder from the crankcase.

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
whoops i did tip the mower to get the oil out of the spark plug hole (should have mentioned that before...) so now do I keep trying to remove oil by pulling the cord or is it time for stater fluid? When do I determine that I must remove the head and clean out the cylinder and pistons?

Whenever you get tired pulling the cord...lol.

Ok, I just had to say that.

Try the starting fluid but not too much. See if it will start.

IF not, then you may have to do the head .

Make sure that every time you remove the spark plug, that the plug doesn't have oil all over it. it won't fire through a wet plug or through oil.