Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

have a new honda gx 390 will start and idle but will not run…

Customer Question
have a new honda gs...
have a new honda gs 390 will start and idle but will not run above the idle. checked spark plug gas carb. with no results can you help me this engine has elc start and runs a blower motor
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/27/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Have you removed the float bowl on the carburetor to see if the float and needle valve are stuck?
yes removed and checked main jet changed plug gasoline this motor has less than 20 hrs on it
Could something have gotten into the exhaust and plugged it up?
doesnt seem to be the engine will start and idle but no acceration could a coil are some other elctrical device cause this
Does it run any different if you play with the choke? Does this engine have the electric fuel shutoff solenoid in the base of the carburetor? If so, it could be not opening and only letting in enough fuel to idle.
only starts and runs with choke on not sure about fuel shutoff has manuel fuel shutoff
No electric solenoid in the carburetor?

dont think so i will check

ok. I will check back and i will be here tomorrow.
it doesnt heve an electric fuel selinoid shut-off
I assume that you have verified that the throttle plate in the carb is actually moving when you throttle up. If so, remove the exhaust and try it.