Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Ive got a Husqvarna riding mower with a Kohler CV18S engine.

Customer Question
I've got a Husqvarna riding...
I've got a Husqvarna riding mower with a Kohler CV18S engine. It has gotten good routine maintenance for 8+/- years. It starts easy and runs great until it gets hot -- maybe 20 minutes. Then it dies and won't start easily. When it does start it runs only when fully choked. But once it cools down it starts and runs OK again for a few minutes.

I have replaced the carb with a new one, and replaced the fuel filter.

What areas should I look at now? Thanks.

Jon Kyle [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/27/2010
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

There are several possibilities. I will list them in no particular order.

The engine may be overheating.

The overheating problem

Let's take this one step at a time.

What could cause the overheating problem?

Overheating can be attributed to two things something getting to hot or something not getting cooled properly.

Lets take the situations that would cause something to get too hot first.

Engines can create extra heat by having the engine run too lean....(Not getting enough fuel) Fuel is not only used to create the power in an engine but it is also used as a coolant in the combustion chamber. If it runs too lean, then the explosions will create more heat and then there is also not enough fuel to help cool the engine.

What would cause the engine to run too lean?

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems.

Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carb. It Must be removed from the engine, cleaned very well, blown out with compressed air and reassembled using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit. ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carb too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carb. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carb kit.

You can also have dirt in the fuel tank that is plugging up the fuel filter screen inside the gas tank.

You can also have a fuel pump that is going bad..

Ok now lets see what could cause the engine to have insufficient cooling.

When small engines run, they build up heat as a natural byproduct of combustion.

Just as a wood burning stove gives off heat so does a combustion engine. Different fuels will produce different amounts of heat. Coal for instance burns much hotter than wood.....a hardwood such as oak or hickory burns much hotter than softwoods such as soft maple of cottonwood. The same can be said for gasoline. 87 octane gives off much more heat than 89 octane of premium. That is because 87 octane explodes and all of the heat is transferred to the piston in one very fast burst. It cannot be transferred through the piston and cylinder to the air fins where the air from the cooling fan takes it away fast enough to keep the engine running as cool as we would like. On the other hand, mid-grad 89 octane and premium fuels do not explode...they burn in a much slower manner and the added time aids the engine in cooling., so the engine runs much cooler. This is due to the antiknock compounds that have been added to the fuel. The anti-knock compounds job is to slow the burning process and to eliminate the explosions that result in the knock (or pre-ignition) that occurs with regular gas. The problems we are having with the gas these days is that they keep making it cheaper and cheaper by not adding as many additives as they one did. These additives are very expensive.

So as a conclusion, we do not recommend using 87 octane in ANY SMALL ENGINE. We would prefer that only good Brand (NOT CHEAP DISCOUNT STATION) gasoline is used in all 4-cycle engines and Premium MUST be used in ALL 2-cycle engines.

Another situation that causes the engine not to cool well is that grass builds up under the engine cover....we call this the birds nest affect.....When grass is built up under the shroud or cover as we call it, it blocks the flow of air around the cylinder and block of the engine. This prevent the engine from cooling because it cannot take away the heat that was created during combustion. In many cases this grass build-up gets so hot that it can even create a fire under the cover.

You can also have an ignition module that is getting hot and providing NO SPARK after it gets hot.

When the electronic ignitions get hot, they have a tendency to short out on the inside. Sometimes they will run ok for a while 10 min, 20 min, an hour etc before they get hot enough to break down under the heat. Then they will short out and not give any spark to the engine and it won't run. IT will die. Sometimes if you let the engine cool of for an hour or two, the ignition will begin firing again...and the cycle starts all over again. At some point, the ignition gets hot enough that the short inside doesn't go away when it cools off. And it goes permanently dead. Sometimes the ignition goes dead with no other warning. You simply have to replace the electronic ignition coil for the unit to run again.

There are other causes that can cause your problems, too, such as the valves may need to be adjusted or replaced...sometimes because of overheating and sometimes just because of normal wear and tear. If the valves are out of adjustment the engine will not run or at least will not run correctly. Also.. if the engine has been overheating, the valves could be burnt and then they will not seat correctly.

I hope that these suggestion will help you in you're quest to find the problem with your engine. If I can be any more help to you , please just ask for me.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

I think we fixed the problem by cleaning the vent hole in the gas tank cap that was completely plugged. The tank was completely full (premium Shell gas) so it didn't take long for the vacuum in the tank to prevent flow of enough gas to the engine. When it cooled, the vacuum also diminished, and then it ran until the vacuum built up again.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: It was a clogged vent hole in the gas tank filler cap!

I am glad to hear that you have solved teh problem with such a simple repair. I hope it stays fixed.

It sure is a much simpler solution than some of the ones I suggested. Again it is always better to try the easy stuff first.

Let me know how things work out and feel free to contact me If I can be or any more help.

I guess the thing that must have thrown me is when it was said it ran for 20 minutes until it gets "HOT" And I focused on the "Hot"poart of it.

Usually when a gas cap is plugged, the engine only runs for 3 to 5 minutes.

Again, thanks for letting me try to help.