Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Trying to repair a Briggs 13.5 hp engine, 21B700 series. Needs…

Customer Question
Trying to repair a Briggs...
Trying to repair a Briggs 13.5 hp engine, 21B700 series. Needs a .030 over piston for cylilnder wall damage. Cylinder doesn't appear to be sleeved, don't find any stock pistons in this o/s. Options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/27/2010
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
I have checked in all of my after market parts books, briggs books, and even some of the racing suppliers that deal in briggs racing engines and no one offers a .030" piston for that engine. The only way that you will be able to utilize that block will be to have it sleeved or try to get a special piston made. Either of those options will cost big money. It will be cheaper for you to buy another block or engine.
Based on my prior internet searches, I already suspected that there is no standard offering on the +.030 per the 'cross reference' guides. With all the different models offered, I don't trust Briggs or the aftermarket dealers to have a comprehensive list of what a particular item will work with. What I am after is a reason why an available item (such as the 515-312 Stens .030 piston) for the same bore wouldn't work, ie. wrist pin diameter changed, length from wrist pin to crown wrong for stroke, piston weight wrong for counterbalance, wrong material for cylilnder wall?. That particular item is listed for the 22, 25, 28, and 40 cube engines sharing same bore as my 21 incher. I'm looking for solid info as to why something like that would (or would not) work. Am I going to have to get the tech data (drawings w/ dimensions, weights, etc.) on OEM vs. the Stens products would tell the story to determine this?
I will take a look at that part number and then do some research and compare it to your engine. It is likely going to be the exact things you mention as the wrist pin diameter, location.