Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

This question is for a B & S 20 hp TWIN II engine. I just…

This question is for a...
This question is for a B & S 20 hp TWIN II engine. I just install new plugs, ignition coil, and fuel filter to correct some erratic running. Each time I crank the engine, it starts promptly, runs a few seconds and shuts down. I can recrank the engine easily, and it repeats the same run time and shutdown. The engine sounds strong for the few seconds that it is running.

What can I check to troubleshoot this problem?
6/26/2010
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The problem sounds like a plugged up jet in the carburetor. You did not provide the model numbers off of the engine, but if it is the one I am thinking of there will be a large bolt head on the left side of the carb(as viewed when setting on tractor). Take that bolt out. Under that bolt there will be an allen head bolt recessed back in the carb. That is the main jet. Make sure the hole in that is clear. If cleaning that does not help then you will need to completely disassemble the carburetor and give it a good cleaning.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
There was a threaded plug drilled with an orifice behind the bolt head. I ended up having to take the carb off to get the plug back in. I cleaned and blew out the carb. I also installed a screw tightening clamp on the new fuel line to the carb that fit rather loosely with the factory spring clamp. But the important thing is the mower started and ran fine after this work. I'm satisfied with your answer and am happy to OK your payment.
Thank you very much.