Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Hello, I have a Speedex S-24 tractor. It runs great usually,

Customer Question
but when it's cold it...
Hello, I have a Speedex S-24 tractor. It runs great usually, but when it's cold it won't start. It's getting plenty of fire, blue in fact. After attempting to start it the spark plug is wet from fuel. If I do get it started it produces black smoke and then clears out and runs good. After starting it for a few moments you can cut it off and it will start right backup with no problems. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
It sounds like the carburetor is leaking gas thru and flooding the engine. Remove the bowl on the carburetor and remove the float and needle valve. Clean the needle valve, if it has the rubber seat on the end, be sure it is not damaged. If it is a solid needle, there is a seat in the passage that needle goes in, it needs to be in good shape. It would be a good idea to replace the needle and seat if it has one. Check the float in a glass of water to be sure it will float. Then reinstall the needle and float, and the fuel bowl. That should take care of the flooding. Another thing that would keep it from flooding would be to shut the fuel off if it has a shut off valve. If not you can add one to the fuel line. Briggs # XXXXX Can be bought for about $5.00. Thanks.