Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

generator runs fine but doesnt generate electricity. Can…

Customer Question
generator runs fine but doesn't...
generator runs fine but doesn't generate electricity. Can you assist?

Was running fine and then I closed the breaker to the street... dumb move I guess. The motor continued to run fine, but the generator did not generate any power.    I tested all the circuit breakers and they are all showing 0 ohms so it appears they are fine. I don't see any other breakers or reset switched on the unit.   What do you suggest?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/26/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

There is a very good chance that the set merely needs to be flashed (recharged).

To do so:

1. Remove the spark plug wire.

2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end).

3. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.

4. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.

5. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.

6. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.

7. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.

8. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.

9. Disconnect the wires from the battery.

10. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.

If this does not work, let me know and we can troubleshoot. A good multimeter will be required.

I did exactly as you suggested and unfortunately it did not work. What next?

OK,

For starters, this set was actually built by Briggs and Stratton under contract with JD, so the wire colors and number may not be an exact match. Do not be alarmed if they are not.

Remove the end cover from the genset. Inside you will see a small box with 4 wires coming out of it. This is the voltage regulator. They should be #1 white, #4 black, #2 blue and #6 red.

The #1 and #4 go to the brushes, and the #2 and #6 are the excitation input from the stator.

Disconnect #1 and #4 and ohm across the brushes. You should get about 10 ohms.

Remove the brush block and inspect the brushes. They should be worn into an even arch pattern, with no chips or cracks. They should extend out from the brush holder at least 3/8". They should slide freely into and out of the brush holder. If they stick or bind, clean the holder with electrical contact cleaner.

Now inspect the slip rings. They are the 2 metal bands that the brushes ride against. They are made of copper and should be fairly shiny. A slight black patina is normal, but they should not be a dull black. They should not have scratches or pits in them.

If they are dirty, clean them with a piece of scotch brite attached to the end of a small stick.

Start the engine and press the scotch brite against them.

Once they are clean, ohm across them. They should read about 10 ohms.

Reinstall the brush block, but leave the wires off.

Make up 2 jumper wires that will attach to the brushes, and are long enough to reach to a 12V battery.

Connect one jumper to the positive (outer) brush and to the positive terminal of the battery.

Connect the other jumper to the negative (inner) brush, but do not connect the other end yet.

Set your meter to VAC.

Start the engine and connect the negative jumper to the negative post of the battery.

Measure the voltage output at the receptacle. It should be a minimum of 80V.

Now measure the voltage across wires 2 and 6 at the voltage regulator. It should read about the same as the receptacle.

Now set your meter to VDC and connect the positive lead to the white #1 wire, and the negative lead to the black #4 wire. It should be at least 10V.

What do you get with this?

Were you able to do these tests?