Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1988 John Deere Hydro 165. I replaced the drive belt…

Customer Question
I have a 1988 John...
I have a 1988 John Deere Hydro 165. I replaced the drive belt because the old one broke and I can not get the new one to work. My speed is very slow. I tried all sorts of configurations. There has to be something stupid I am missing.

Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/26/2010
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
This answer does not work. I found this link prior to asking the question. The 165 is much different from the 175.
Technician: Kevin, Technician replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I may be able to help you with your question.

I have just a few questions that will help narrow down the possibilities. First of all did it drive normally prior to the belt breaking? In its current state does it act very responsive getting to the lower speed or does it feel real mushy? After the belt broke did you put the tow lever in the tow position before relocating the mower to where the replacement belt was installed?

When you have a free moment let me know and I will see if I can't narrow the problem down for you.

Thanks,

Kevin