Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

the starter rope came loose on my bronco tb70ss weedeater.

Customer Question
have nthe motor separated from...
the starter rope came loose on my bronco tb70ss weedeater. have nthe motor separated from the shaft.. cant get the red cover off to access the spring assited rope area. what next
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/25/2010
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

Take a length of clean cord like starter rope and place it in the spark plug hole to function as a piston stop to keep the engine from turning. Leave enough hanging out for easy removal. Down inside the end of the clutch drum where the drive shaft was is a screw holding it in place. It will be a Torx T-20. Once the drum is off you can use a flat punch and hammer carefully on the center body of the clutch to remove it in the direction the arrow shows. Optionally on some clutches you can use a crescent on the flat part in the center if you have enough to grab. Do not remove the springs. The clutch serves as a flywheel nut.

Hope this helps!