Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Im watching my neighbor install a gas generator in his Shasta…

I'm watching my neighbor install...
I'm watching my neighbor install a gas generator in his Shasta moterhome. The unit runs well in his driveway, however when he closes the door and drives away, and at aprox 1 mile away the generator is starving for gas. We suspect heat build up causing a vapor lock in the gas line. We re-routed the gas line behind the insulation on the walls and got 2 miles away. We then cut a 5inch hole in the door and added a muffin fan as well as another 4inch hole in the floor. The factory door is vented along the top and open along the bottom. We now get up to 3 miles away. We also wrapped the exhaust pipe with insulation designed for such. Were almost out of beer, any ideas?
6/25/2010
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

What is the brand and model number of the genset? Is it new or used?

Where exactly are you trying to mount it?

Is the mounting compartment completely enclosed, or is the bottom open?

The brand is Chicago, it is new from Harbor Fright.

Trying to mount it in the previous gen compartment. The motorhome was purchased used.

The compartment is closed except for the vented door and now a 4 inch hole in the bottom.

The gen will run just fine with the door open parked in the driveway.

We suspect the heat build up causes our problem, were wondering how much more venting will be necessary?

We do have a larger 5 inch fan we could install in the door?

We see the lack of gas in the clear inline filter when it starts to sputter.

Have I confused you?

I guess we were wondering if the problem is heat?

One correction: The second 5 inch fan is planned to be mounted on the inside side wall after cutting another hole. It will be blowing air out.

My first thought would be that the genset is choking itself out on the exhaust.

These disposable generators have a small muffler that is blowing the exhaust right into the compartment.

They are not made to be mounted in RV's for several reasons, and that is one of them.

Even if you have it mounted so the exhaust is blowing toward the vent, a lot of it is still staying in the compartment. As the engine is running, it is drawing this hot exhaust with no oxygen in it and choking itself out.

Heat will also play a part, and I am not sure if you could get enough ventilation in the compartment to overcome this.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

The exhaust is piped to the outdoors and wrapped in insulation. I think your right about the heat factor.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

I hope you are able to overcome the heat issue.

If not, you may just have to resort to sitting the set under the RV while using it.