Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

i need help with a toro lawnmower - any experts for that...

Customer Question
? Not the engine...
i need help with a toro lawnmower - any experts for that... ? Not the engine, but fixing the cord/cable that extends from the blade control bar (safety) to the engine.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/25/2010
Technician: Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert replied 8 years ago
Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
What do you need help with, I know toro's pretty well.

Never mind I got it. Instead of connecting the little plastic piece to the holder first, try hooking the S hook into the hole on the moving arm and then pulling the cable back to hook he plastic stopper in the hole it goes into. It is much easier that way.

If you need more help a picture of the area you are working on will help greatly in explaining how to hook it up.

Hey jon... thanks for the start of an answer. Sorry I slipped away - kids were up from bed. Let's see if we can discuss this without me going out and taking a photo... the cable runs through the little plastic piece, which seems to be conneced to a metal arm that flexes forward toward the - let's call it receiving area - for the s hook (a similar fixed arm). I can get the s hook back into place, but there is still too much slack in the line to make me think I did anything good. The safety arm remains in "running" position and I can't start the mower.

Is this an OEM cable? There are a lot of after market cables that are not the right length.

If you have the S hook in the fixed arm (is there a further hole?) and the plastic piece in the receiving arm is should work.

It is an OEM cable. If you want to pick this up again tomorrow eve I can upload a video or a pic...
That would be great Sir, I have to be up for work at 5, but will be back on around 5 tomorrow night. Pics or a video would be great. We'll get this figured out.
graphic
It looks like you have everything correct on the lower end. The S hook should be int he hole you have pointed out and the plastic keeper is correct. Either something is wrong up top or you were sold the incorrect cable. I can verify the cable if you can get me the serial number off your machine. If you can get a picture of the upper portion of the cable, where is attach's I will look at that for you also.
i'll get a pic of the top, but heading out now... more to follow. this Q&A looks to be like an Isner tennis match... hope you don't mind
Not at all, let me know when you have more for me.