Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have a kohler ch25s 68650 that came from a scag cougar.

Customer Question

I have a kohler ch25s 68650 that came from a scag cougar. It blew up. I found a short block for 950 dollars. A new ch25s is (I can't quite remember, but I think it was) about 2000 dollars. My question is whether or not I have to replace it with an identical motor, or could I swap it with a briggs or kawasaki or honda or whatever I find available. If I can, then I would like to know what I need to look for when finding a replacement. Thanks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 8 years ago.

The easy answer is yes, you can replace it with anything that fits. Mounting holes (which can be easily changed) and crank size (diameter and length) are the two most important things to look for. The hard part is going to be the electrical system. Is your mower electric start? If so you will need a charging unit in the new engine. I have also seen these changed over to pull start engines to save money on replacements but they will only work if you do not have an electric clutch.

I hope this helps you out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've seen motors advertised with 3 amp charging units and 20 amp charging units. I don't know what that means, does it matter? Also, it's a horizontal shaft motor. Does the height from the mounting plate to the shaft matter? Thanks.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 8 years ago.
The height does matter as you need the crank to line up. As far as the electrical end goes it depends what you have running off the electrical side. An electric clutch will take more power (20amp) one tat just recharges the battery will be fine on the 3 amp.