Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Troy-Bilt 5550 watt generator. It starts, runs great…

Customer Question
I have a Troy-Bilt 5550...
I have a Troy-Bilt 5550 watt generator. It starts, runs great for up to 10 minutes then stops. It will not restart at that point. If I wait a couple hours I can start it but the cycle repeats. I am using fresh fuel.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/25/2010
Technician: Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert replied 8 years ago
Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert

I t sounds like you have a bad ignition coil or a bad fuel cap. Lets check both. Loosen the fuel cap and start the engine. If it doesn't die then replace the fuel cap and call it a day. More then likely it will die. Once it does you need to test for spark. If you do not have an inline spark tester then remove the spark plug and place it on the metal head of the engine (leave the lead attached) DO NOT hold onto the plug or wire. Turn the engine over and watch for spark. If there is no park then you most likely have a bad coil, but we can test that a little further also.

Let me know how it goes and if we need to continue.

Removed plug and it does spark, looks OK. Cap tight or loose, it is in a no-start stage now. Tries hard but doesn't catch.

remove the plug again and pour in a teaspoon of fuel, replace plug and see what happens, it could be a fuel delivery problem.

It has now started, with the cap loose. Engine sounds more even. In about 20 minutes, if it is still runnning, I will screw the cap down tight. Should cut out in 10 minutes after that and verifying the cap as the culprit. Scratch that. Died while I was typing. I flipped the fuel cutoff back and forth several times earlier today to try to assure it was clear. Now it starts OK. Less than 10 min running last time.

Ok so after 10 minutes or so it runs out of fuel. the first thing we can check is the fuel delivery to the carburetor. Shut off the fuel and remove the line from the carb. Using a quart bottle or something else glass that you can see through put the fuel line in it and turn the fuel on. You should have a steady stream of fuel running into the container. A slow trickle is not good enough. If it is coming out alright then fill the container for a full minute or so and then let it sit. After it has sat for about 2 minutes look at it without moving it. If it separates at all then you have some water in the fuel and we need to address that. let me know what you find out.

Running for 20 minutes now. And now - it indeed sounds like it runs out of gas. I will do as you suggest with a jar after it sits and cools a bit. Any fuel screens to be checked?

There may be one in the fuel tank at the outlet, and possibly a filter inline between the tank and carb. That one you should be able to see. If everything checks out then we will need to open up the carb and clean it out thoroughly and check the flow into the bowl.
Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
No evident separation in the fuel. I would not have called the fuel flow a rush of gas. But it was steady, did not trickle. Gotta call it quits for tonight. Neighbors don't care for the noise.

Steady is good, Let me know tomorrow night, I'll be here and we can go into cleaning the carburetor. If you can get pictures of the carb tat would greatly help as I do not have a schematic of this carb. I shouldn't be that bad, we are almost there.