Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I HAVE A 5HP BRIGGS-STRATTON OUTBOARD MOTOR IT WILL NOT STAY…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 5HP BRIGGS-STRATTON...
I HAVE A 5HP BRIGGS-STRATTON OUTBOARD MOTOR IT WILL NOT STAY RUNNING UNLESS THE CHOKE IS ALL THE WAY OUT. I HAVE ONLY ABOUT 21/2 TO 3 FT OF GAS LINE. AND I EVEN SET THE TANK ON A CHAIR TO GET IT ABOVE THE MOTOR AND WHEN I PUSH THE CHOKE IN IT KILLS EVEN IF I TRY AND REV IT UP IT KILLS I HAD A CARB MAN TAKE IT ALL APART AND CLEAN IT AND IT DID NOT HELP IT'S LIKE IT IS NOT GETING THE GAS IT NEEDS.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/25/2010
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

It is most likely the carburetor that is still restricted.

If he didn't install a complete new carburetor repair kit, it likely will not work properly.

There are also many very small passageways inside the carburetor that cannot be gotten completely with just taking it apart and trying to clean it.

Here is also another place to check.

The nut that holds on the carburetor bowl has several small holes in it. Some are on the sides and one may be in the end. In order to completely clean the carburetor correctly, you MUST clean these holes with a tag wire or a jet drill. (If a jet drill is used, DO NOT use a drill that is bigger than the hole or the engine will run too rich.)

View Full Image

Here is my comprehensive carburetor and fuel answer that may give you some ideas.

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems. Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasoline's contain MTBE and alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol is partially water (H2O). And they call it "Oxygenated fuels! It is the oxygen that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale... and fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor must be removed from the engine. Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air. Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.

Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them by blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling.

Reassemble using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.

DO NOT TRY TO REASSEMBLE WITHOUT USING A COMPLTE CARBURETOR KIT! You will just end up having to do the job again.

ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.

If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.

If the carburetor still doesn't work correctly, you may have to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses carb cleaner and ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean when traditional methods fail.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

I DID ALL THAT AND MORE ALL THERE IS TO THE CARB IS A JET A FLOAT A NEEDLE NO DIPHARM. COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT THE SETTING IS FOR THE JET? AND WHAT A NEW CARB COSTS?

I cannot give you a part number or a price for the carburetor unless I have the COMPLETE Model number, Type Number, and Code number of the engine..

It is located on the engine If this is an overhead valve engine, it is usually stamped into the valve cover. If it is not an overhead valve engine in it should be stamped into the engine shroud just above the spark plug.

You can also get the part number and price by taking those numbers and putting them into this website. http://www.partstree.com/

You will need to put the model and type number into the site and then it will tell you the carb number. Sometimes it will show two different carburetor, on that is "Before" a certain code number and one that is used "AFTER" a certain code number. That is why you may need the code number too. IF it only shows one carb, then it is correct.