Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an older RV with a 6.5RV gen. It will start and run…

Customer Question
I have an older RV...
I have an older RV with a 6.5RV gen. It will start and run with or without a load for about 2 minutes then shuts down. We checked fuses and cleaned the carb. any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/24/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

What is the full model number of the genset?

6.5 WH3CR/16004P

Are you positive about the model number? I can not find even a reference to a WH series of set.

Is it possibly an NH?

YES IT IS NH

Thanks.

When the set shuts down, will it immediately start back up, will it start after extended cranking, or does it have to sit for a while before it will restart?

Edited by Hank F. on 6/24/2010 at 5:59 PM EST
NEEDS TO SET FOR AWHILE

This sounds like either a breakdown in the ignition system, or a fuel pump going bad.

We need to determine which it is.

Start the set and let it run until it shuts down.

Immediately check for spark at both cylinders.

To check for spark, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.

Remove the spark plug from the cylinder.

Attach the spark plug wire to the spark plug.

Using insulated tools so you do not get shocked, hold the base of the plug to the bare metal of the engine.

Crank the engine and observe the plug for spark. There should be a bright blue spark jumping the gap of the spark plug.

Is there spark present?

If not, we will need to troubleshoot the ignition system.

If there is spark, remove the air filter.

Wile cranking, spray in either some gas or carb cleaner and see if you can get the st to start and run for 15-20 seconds.

If it will run this way, we need to troubleshoot the fuel system.

Let me know what you find.

ok We will try it, I forgot to mention we put new plugs in it when it started shutting down. I have also removed the air filter, with the same results.

It's never a bad idea to change plugs or air filters - it will never hurt the engine.

But this issue will not be affected by that.

OK We checked the plugs for fire and they are sparking properly.....also checked the fuel pump to make sure that is pumping, it is. what next?

Ok

Check your oil level and make sure it is full.

What grade of oil are you using?

At the base of the oil filter is the Low Oil Pressure Switch.

It is a round item screwed into the oil filter adapter and has a single wire connected to it.

Disconnect this wire and use a jumper wire to ground out this wire.

See if the set will stay running now.

When the set shuts down, does it just shut off like someone turned it off, or does it spit and sputter some?

Have you been able to check on this yet?