Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Toro zero-point riding lawn mower. I was mowing, then…

Customer Question
I have a Toro zero-point...
I have a Toro zero-point riding lawn mower. I was mowing, then I got off the mower to get some trash out of the way, and it stalled. I spent about 30 seconds throwing the trash away, and then when I got back it wouldn't start. It clicks rapidly but doesn't seem to be engaging.

please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/23/2010
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

The problem is most likely that your battery needs to be charged. THese units take an enormous amount of electricity to run the electric clutch. They also do not put the most expensive batteries in them from the factory.

I would suggest that you charge the battery at about 6 amps for a period of 10 to 12 hrs and then try it again. If this doesn't fix the problem, take the battery to a good dealer or autoparts store and have it LOAD TESTED. Also if the battery tests bad, do not buy a cheap battery, get one that has at least 350 cranking amps. You will not find these at a discount store....also if the battery you are using now is one that was bought at a discount store, there is a very good possibility that it was bad right out of the box. They do not sell good batteries.

The next possibility is that the solenoid may have gone bad. This is not very likely, but it does happen once in a while.

Also it could be a corroded battery terminal or wire. Clean all wires and make sure that you have good connections.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Edited by Ranwell1 on 6/23/2010 at 5:18 PM EST