Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Maint. man cleaned EV6010 with high pressure water. Unit will…

Customer Question
Maint. man cleaned EV6010 with...
Maint. man cleaned EV6010 with high pressure water. Unit will start but on release of start will die. Have dried unit after I recleaned with spray water remover. Is their a way to run the motor without running the gen?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/21/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Water should never be used to clean a genset - only compressed air should be used. Water can do a lot of damage pretty quickly.

The engine probably won't run without the generator, as the controller uses some of the output power to keep the set running.

If it will run, what you will need to do is to disconnect the fuel shut off solenoid and manually jump 12V into it to keep it running.

If this does not work, the set will need to be diagnosed and repaired. It is most likely still wet inside.