Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a rv with a 7000 emerald gas that starts runs fine for…

Customer Question
I have a rv with...
I have a rv with a 7000 emerald gas that starts runs fine for 10 min to half hr or so. I changed goth fule filters and checked fule pump with a vacume pume and it sucks 10 in
on gage.Ichange the oil,airfilter,fuel filter put bottle of stable to about 60 gal of gas last
yr,drove rv and ran gen for half hr or so to make sure stable went through gen set.the
unit just turned 400 hrs. i have done the normel mant. exsept clean the blowerunit.
The gen ran fine this season for about 3 hrs befor it started to act up Thanks Don
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/21/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

What is the full model number of the genset?

the name of the genset is a marquis gold 7000 model # XXXXX

This is a micro processor controller set, so the computer will store trouble codes.

Let's start with reading which codes are set.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: flash flash, 1 second pause, flash flash flash flash flash is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

What Fault Code are you getting?

my genset is a Marquis Gold 7000 Model # XXXXX JAB-103-6A

This will be the Fault Code.

What Fault Code are you getting?

the coad is blink-1--12345 one blink , pause five blinks This repeats it self.

Code 15 is Under Frequency - it means that the generator is not spinning fast enough.

Possible causes are:

1. The engine actually running too slow.

2. Something loose or broken in the drive system.

3. A stretched drive belt.

4. Bad wiring connections between the stator and controller.

5. Bad controller.

A frequency meter will absolutely be required to diagnose this issue, as the first thing we must do is to verify the actual frequency of the set.

Remove the start switch panel on the set.

Set your meter to measure frequency.

Connect the negative lead to a good ground.

Connect the positive lead to the back of one of the circuit breakers.

Press and hold 'Start' for 8-10 seconds and note the frequency.

What is the frequency of the output?

Have you been able to check on this yet?