Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

hi, just read an answer you gave regarding golf cart back fire.

Customer Question
ive been asked to look...
hi, just read an answer you gave regarding golf cart back fire. ive been asked to look at a yamaha cart with a back fire too. there was a broken breather to to filter box and i dont think the engine has been serviced for many many years. the air filter has oil on the foam cover which smeels of fuel. does this tie in with the crank seals theory? or could it just be poor burning of fuel/over fuelling because of bad servicing and therefore bore washing with fel and thinning down the oil?? thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
6/20/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
First thing is to completely service the unit and check the fuel quality. Install new spark plug and look at the old plug. Is it oil fouled or nice and clean? The G14 should have the newer 4cycle engine but sometimes people go back to the older two cycle engine. Is this the two or four cycle. The two cycle has to have oil in the gas, the four cycle has the oil in the crankcase. Backfiring can be caused by a number of reasons, but one of the main ones are the valves being to tight. If it is still backfiring, check the valve adjustment on the four cycle engine. Valves should have .008 in. clearance. Let me know. Thanks.