Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have BX2230D Kubota tractor with a front end loader and Mower…

Customer Question
I have BX2230D Kubota tractor...
I have BX2230D Kubota tractor with a front end loader and Mower deck attached. It will not turn over now since the last shutdown about two weeks ago. Battery reads about 12 volts at this time, a new starter switch has been installed. I have jiggled power take-off controls etc while turning the key but nothing happens but a few clicks when the key is turned to the start position. How should I proceed from here to get this to start.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
6/20/2010
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
The battery would be my concern. What does it actually read? Should be at least 12.5 volts and the when you turn the key to start, does it go down any? Clicking when the key is turned to the start position is usually a dead battery. Check the voltage when you turn the key and let me know what you find. Thanks.

Curtis,

The person who usually operates the tractor has gone uptown to get some material for another job we are working on at the place, and I will only be able to get back to this problem when he returns. I will get back to you when I have the information you requested.

Thanks.

.

Thats fine, I will be here.

Curtis,

The reading on the battery with the switch in the off position is 12.48 volts, and it drops to 11.84 when the key is turned to the start position. The outside temperature is 91.F .

Thanks.

Sounds like battery might be ok. With the voltmeter, follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid and check to see when you go to start ,if the solenoid is getting voltage from the key switch and whether it is closing and sending power to the starter. If power gets to the solenoid from the keyswitch, and is not closing the solenoid and sending battery voltage to the starter, the solenoid would be bad. If it is going on to the starter, the starter or connections at the starter would be suspect. Let me know. Thanks.
I will check this out as soon as I can, and get back to you. Thanks
Ok, i will be here, no hurry.