Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

while using a walkbehind weed trimmer, something became wrapped…

Customer Question
while using a walkbehind weed...
while using a walkbehind weed trimmer, something became wrapped around the spool. I leaned the machine back while the engine was running to remove the item and some black smoke came out of the side. I cut the engine and continued to remove the item. Once I tried to restart the engine, it would turn over and die. I let it sit for 20 minutes or so and using the bulb, was able to get what seemed like a strong start, but it died within seconds
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/18/2010
Technician: adamsntr, Technician replied 8 years ago
adamsntr
adamsntr, Technician

You flooded th engine with fuel.

Take the spark plug out and dry it of then with the throttle in the off position pull it over several time fairly hard to dry out the cylinder. Reinstall the plug and then try it.

It continues to do the same thing. Starts and dies within a couple of seconds.

Is it smoking while doing this?

The float in the carb my be suck from a piece of debris.

You may need to jostle it around.

It is full if gas right?

i had not noticed before, but yes there is smoke coming out.

I then think that the carb has some junk in it.

Remove the one bolt in the bottom of the carb and take the float bowl off.

Pinch the fuel line so it won't leak fuel and then put a rag under it and let some fuel drain out while raising and lowering the float.

Clean the float bowl out and reinstall.

Make sure the plug isn't fowled, It should be dark but not completely black.

adamsntr
adamsntr, Technician
That apparently did the trick. I was able to start it and it continued to run! Thank you.
Thats great.