Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Rick I have a Murray lawn tractor 12 or 13 HP, about 12 years…

Customer Question
Rick I have a Murray...
Rick I have a Murray lawn tractor 12 or 13 HP, about 12 years old, the pulleys all appear to work fine , but the transmission doew not engage the wheels, they spin freely like in neutral. It has worked fine until I went to use it today. I suspect the tractor was pushed when off and in gear, I know there was resistance in the past if the tractor was moved while off and in gear. Is there a pin or something that may have snapped?
Bob
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/16/2010
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

Hi Bob,

since you mention this is a shift-on-the-go unit, I suspect the shifting keys inside the transmission have broken. This will cause the symptoms you describe.

If the input pulley on the transaxle is turning, and the shifter appears to be moving from the outside, this is a likely scenario. However, have the rear wheels been removed by any chance? There is also a key between the wheels and axles that sometimes gets left out when reassembling.

Do you have any numbers off the tractor at all? Or from the transaxle? Engine numbers (the code tell us the year it was made...)? I'd be able to better assist if I knew exactly what we were working on.

Edited by Rick on 6/16/2010 at 9:13 PM EST

I changed a rear wheel today, I was careful to replace the key when I put it back on, but will double check and let you know. I will get numbers off the engine if the key doesn't fix the problem.

Bob

Thanks for the update. Let me know...