Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I just bought a craftsman push mower with a briggs and stratton…

Customer Question
I just bought a craftsman...
I just bought a craftsman push mower with a briggs and stratton engine. I've used it a couple of times, but today when I used it white smoke came out so I looked at the dipstick and it needed more oil, so I put the kind that the manual recommends and I didn't read until after I had already did it Not to Overfill it. It won't start now. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/15/2010
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

If you overfilled it with oil it will hydraulically lock up the cylinder. So the first thing is to drain out the excess oil and get it to the right level. If you tip it, never tip it spark plug down or you can get oil up in the cylinder as well and compound the problem.

Let me know and we'll continue...