Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a sears craftsman riding lawnmower/garden tractor about…

Customer Question
I have a sears craftsman...
I have a sears craftsman riding lawnmower/garden tractor about 5 years old. I bought it used a few months ago It worked fone for the first month then it started this bad habit of quiting for no reasen as if you had turned the key off. It has done it the alast 20 times I use the tractor as soon as it is getting hot from 20-40 minutes of use. The fllowing were replaced
air filter
gas filter
gas
water replacement for gas
Is there any auto turn off on these?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/13/2010
Technician: TaxTom, Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
TaxTom
TaxTom, Small Engine Technician
Hello, If you had the model numbers off of the tractor it would help. The first check would be to check the spark as soon as the unit dies. If the spark on both plugs is good when it is hot then we have eliminated the ignition system. Thanks Tom

To check the spark I need to go 25 miles to the tractor and run it 20-30 minutes I will try to do that today.

The numbers are: NNN-NN-NNNN1 020814ZE

briggs and stratton

craftsmanNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Bless you How do I check the spark I would gues turn on the key and ground the spark plug to metal??

Hello again, Yes remove the spark plug wire and attach it to a good spark plug and hold it against the head and see if you have spark. Since the tractor is so far away you may want to check the second test at the same time, I would next check the compression on each cylinder. If the problem is not ignition my best guess is that you have a valve sticking. Thanks Tom