J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a Scotts riding lawn mower (model 1642H). The belt

Customer Question

I have a Scott's riding lawn mower (model 1642H). The belt drive for the mower blades broke; I need 2 things: a diagram of how the belt should wind through the pulleys (there is 1 pulley from the engine and 5 other pulleys for the belt to wrap around); I also need the model # XXXXX the belt replacement - I could only find one John Deere 42" belt, but it did not say it would fit my model of Scott's 42" mower (FYI - this mower was bought in 2000).

Thanks!!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

See attached link for the diagram.

https://groundscare.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/24437/1274205284

The belt is part number m124895 which is a 1/2" x 115" belt.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
To confirm - is the model number (m124895) a John Deere model number, or Scott's model number? I cannot find any "Scott's" parts.

Also, how do you remove the mower deck to get to the pulleys?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One last question to confirm - you provided belt diagram for a Scott's S1642; mine is a Scott's 1642H. With respect to the belt model and diagram, are they the same?
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

Is the engine a single cylinder or a twin cylinder? How many spark plugs? If it is a twin cylinder the belt part number is XXXXX That is a it is still going to be a 1/2" by 115" belt if you go with an aftermarket belt. Both of the part numbers are a little longer than 115" on the original belt, but the only way you can get the exact belt is to go to the John Deere dealer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you; do you have any instructional diagrams on how to remove the mower deck so I can get to replace the belt?
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.

See attached link and download the manual. It will walk you through removing the deck.

http://lawnandgarden.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/scotts/s1742.html