Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an MTD mower. 17 HP, 42 inch deck. Bought new in 2000.

Customer Question
I have an MTD mower...
I have an MTD mower. 17 HP, 42 inch deck. Bought new in 2000. My son was mowing this week and it died. He refueled it, started it again, it ran for 15 seconds and died. It has not started since.

I have replaced the plugs, fuel hose and filter. When I turn the key it turns over but will not fire. I know I have fuel to the carb.

When I engage the PTO and try to start the key it lights up on the gage. Same with the brake ligh when not pressed down on to start.. It won't turn over when the key is turned. Does this verify all 3 of my safety switches are working?

Do I check the plug next?

If that does not work, what next.

Thanks for your time, Joe
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/13/2010
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 8 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Check to see if you are getting spark at the plug. Take the spark plug out and attach it back onto the wire. Touch the electrode end of the plug to clean metal and then have someone set on it and crank it over. Let me know what you find.
Do I know enuf about the the 3 safety switches to verify they are working?
If you have spark with the small wire unhooked from the ignition coil and no spark with it plugged in the you have a switch problem.